2 ceiling fans are not working correctly together

Old 08-07-08, 06:30 AM
2 ceiling fans are not working correctly together

our builder put in 2 fans on a single rotary knob to control speed. the low setting is so low it does not turn both fans, the medium setting is extremely low and the high is actually probably the high setting. the plate has a on/off switch for the lights - knob for the fan speed - switch for the outside light and a switch for the stairs.

the fans do not run at the same speed you can visually see it. that does not bother us it is the actual speed settings. at the high setting you can't notice the speed difference.

the electrician was a hack and said something about commercial fans won't run correctly or some other line.

can I buy an off the shelf new knob unit that actually works? or will I have to buy one of those sectional type panels and replace the whole plate? I'm game to do anything so the fans will be functional.

the fans say 3.3a for the fans and .5 for the lights but the light are on a separate switch.

thanks much

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-08, 04:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes Received: 2
Not sure which brand of rotary switch you have, but the ones I have had experience with really aren't made for fans. Check at the big box stores, and electrical outlet or on a site such as Lutron or Cooper for an electronic switch made for ceiling fans. Then make sure both fans are on "high" via their pull chains before you begin operation. The switch will lower the speed, but if one is set on high and the other set on medium, when you turn the switch on, they will run at different speeds.