Wiring ceiling fan to wall switch

Old 08-07-08, 04:15 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wiring ceiling fan to wall switch

Hi, I want to wire a ceiling fan to a wall switch that controls 1/2 of a wall outlet. I don't want the outlet to be controlled by the switch at all.
I will use the wall switch to turn the light on the fan off/on, and operate the fan by pulling the chain. I looked in the receptacle box for the wall switch and it has a black wire, brown wire, and a red wire all connected to the switch. How would I be able to wire the fan to the switch?

Old 08-07-08, 08:04 PM
J
What country are you in? Please fill in the location field of your profile.

Are you sure that the "brown" wire is not simply an old and discolored white wire?

Is there a grounding wire in the box? Is the box metal?

In what year was your house built?

Is the switch a 3-way switch? Look carefully at the switch lever and see if it says "on" and "off" on it, or if it is blank.

Old 08-07-08, 10:34 PM
E
I live in U.S. the box is metal, there is a ground in box not connected to switch. There is also two white wires connected to each other in the box and the wire is brown coming in. The switch is a single pole. House was built in 1983.

Old 08-08-08, 03:35 PM
J
I looked in the receptacle box for the wall switch and it has a black wire, brown wire, and a red wire all connected to the switch.
Okay, now tell me exactly where and how each wire connects to the switch.

Old 08-08-08, 03:51 PM
E
The red wire is on the top connected to switch thru a push in tab on backside of switch. The brown wire is on bottom also connected via push in tab, and the black wire is on the bottom same side as the brown, but connected on the side with screw mount.

Old 08-08-08, 08:23 PM
J
Let me explain what you have in the switch box. The black and brown wire are likely unswitched power. One brings unswitched power in, and the other takes unswitched power out (without further testing, it's not possible to know which is which, and it probably doesn't matter much anyway). The red wire is carrying switched power to half of the receptacle. The brown or black wire is probably carrying unswitched power to the other half of the receptacle. Examining the wiring at the receptacle would help clear that up, but it isn't really necessary.

I suspect that you live somewhere that requires conduit, such as NYC or the greater Chicago area. Can you tell us the city or general area you live in?

It's pretty straightforward to do what you want. To make the receptacle unswitched only requires that you take all three of those wires off the switch, connect them together with a wire nut, and also connect a black pigtail (short segment of wire) from that wire nut back to one screw on the switch. This converts that red wire from a switched hot wire to an unswitched hot wire, and makes both halves of the receptacle permanently hot.

To make this switch now control a ceiling fan light, and provide unswitched power to the ceiling fan motor (so that you can turn it on with a pull chain), you need to run four wires from this switch box to the ceiling. These four wires are an unswitched hot, a switched hot, a neutral, and a ground. If you live in an area that allows Romex cable, that would be as simple as running a 14/3 NM-B cable (or 12/3 NM-B cable if the circuit is controlled by a 20-amp breaker) from the wall switch to the ceiling.

So, you need to figure out if Romex (NM-B) cable is allowed in your city, and how you might get such a cable from the wall switch up to the ceiling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: