Ceiling Fan Strange behaviour, experts only

Old 08-08-08, 04:21 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Strange behaviour, experts only

I recently moved the electrical controls for my ceiling fan which resulted in some temporary problems. I have an ON/OFF switch to control the fan and a dimmer to control the lights. Three wires going to the ceiling. Red - Fan, Black - lights, White - nuetral. To extend the controls I added a J-box, same wire in and out, all connected wires match color for color. At the controls, Red wire to load side of switch, Black wire to load side of dimmer. White goes to Nuetral. !20vac power to line side of switch and dimmer. When I started the fan for the first time after renovation, I turned on the fan switch. I was surprised to see fan ON, lights Full ON. Both fan and lights operated with switch. Dimmer did nothing. I thought I had shorted Red and Black together but then dimmer switch should also have activated something. I checked wiring - all OK, no sign of clamps cutting sheath on wires, all wires correct location. After a few tries on the switch, both controls operated properly and still do, no changes to any wiring. The ceiling fan is about 15yrs old. would it have an electronic module that determines fan/light function giving problems?

Old 08-08-08, 05:08 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Very common symptoms. You fried the dimmer. Happens all the time. Buy a new one.

Old 09-07-08, 11:43 AM
O
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
hmmm....
This strange behaiour only happened on start up.
Everything has been working well, including dimmer for several weeks. Dimmer not fried. Any other ideas?

Old 09-07-08, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
It's probably an electronic dimmer? Once the circuits all reset correctly, it worked.
If it's working now, who cares? If it starts acting up later, then maybe it will need replacement. Electronics are funny that way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: