3 way switch, 3 lights

Old 08-12-08, 07:14 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
3 way switch, 3 lights

I just moved into a new home. The porch light and the outside garage lights are controlled by 2 three way switches, one in the garage and the other in the foyer. I want to have the garage lights controlled by the switch in the garage and the porch light controlled by switch in the foyer. I have not looked at the wiring because I wouldn't know what to do anyway. I want to make sure that I can do what I want to do by simply disconnecting and reconnecting wires at the switch and / or the lights ... i.e. I don't want to have to run new wires. Can you help? Thanks

Old 08-12-08, 08:29 AM
C
It depends on how it is wired to begin with, but more than likely you will have to run more wire.

To start, you need to find out how it is wired.

Old 08-12-08, 09:02 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
As classicsat said, there are many different ways that this might be wired now. But I don't think any of them will allow you to do what you want with existing wiring, unless you use a remote switch (i.e., a switch that is activated with a wireless link from another location), or you use a smart technology such as X10. All "standard" solutions will require more cable in the walls (exactly what new cable depends on how it is wired now).

Old 08-12-08, 09:56 AM
J
thanks, I'm not ready to crawl around in the attic. I appreciate your quick responses.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: