Wall switch won't turn ceiling fan/light off

Old 08-12-08, 03:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wall switch won't turn ceiling fan/light off

I am replacing an existing light fixture with a ceiling fan/light. The wall switch is a single on/off switch. I can get the fan and light to work with the pull chains, but not with the wall switch. I want to control the fan/light with this switch. In the wall switch I have 2 black wires, 1 red wire, 2 white wires, and a ground. In the ceiling I have 4 black wires, 4 white wires, 1 red wire, and a ground wire. From the ceiling fan, I have 1 black wire, 1 striped wire, 1 white wire and a ground wire.

When the ceiling fan/light works I have 1 black from ceiling hooked to 1 black and 1 striped from the fan. All the white wires from the ceiling are capped with the white wire from the fan. Red wire from ceiling is capped alone. All other black wires from ceiling are capped together.

Again, the wall switch does nothing. Can you help me wire this properly?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-08, 03:59 PM
How was the previous light fixture wired?

The most likely fix is to use the red wire from the ceiling instead of that black wire you used. Connect that red wire from the ceiling to the ceiling fan black and striped. Then cap off that black wire that you previously used (or maybe tie it in with the other black wires if that is how it was before).

Old 08-12-08, 05:55 PM
Well, we took the light apart about a month ago and thought we knew how it had been hooked up but now we aren't sure. We just tried your suggestion with connecting the red wire from the ceiling to the black and striped wires from the fan, but it didn't work. In the wall switch we have both black wires attached and the grounding wire. We have the red wire capped alone and the two white wires capped together. Like I said, we can get the fan/light to work from the pull chains, just not from the wall switch. If we have the red wire from the ceiling connected as you told us to, do we need to attach the red wire in the wall switch?

Old 08-13-08, 10:17 AM
Well, if the red wire is unconnected in the switch box, then my prior guess was wrong.

Did the switch previously control anything else other than this one fixture?

Old 08-13-08, 01:13 PM
No, the switch just controls the one light fixture. We tried hooking the red wire up in the switch but it didn't do anything.

Old 08-13-08, 01:38 PM
Somewhere along the line, the wiring got messed up. All of the black wires in the ceiling are likely unswitched hots. All of the white wires in the ceiling are likely neutrals. The lone red wire was used (in a former life) as a switched hot.

At the switch box, all of the black wires should be connected together, and to a pigtail (short section of black wrie) to one screw on the switch. The red wire should be connected to the other screw on the switch.

At the celing, the fan's white wire should be connected in with all the white wires. The fan's black wire, and the black/white striped wire, should be connected to the red wire from the ceiling. All the black wires in the ceiling should be connected to each other, but not to the fan.

This isn't 100% guaranteed to work, but it probably will.

Old 08-15-08, 01:48 PM
You are absolutely wonderful! My husband shorted out the circuit breaker yesterday and couldn't fix it until today. We just got it working and immediately wired everything the way you said to do it. IT WORKS! Wow! I can't thank you enough. Thank you!