How do I tell if I'm prewired for a ceiling fan

Old 08-18-08, 03:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hi,I want to install ceiling fans with light kits in my master bedroom and the kids room.presently both have a central ceiling light fixture contolled by a wall switch.I want to know ,if its an easy task to install a ceiling fan with the light kit and how to tell if the present wiring there can support it?Any advice will be much appreciated.
Thank you

Old 08-18-08, 03:16 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 97 Votes on 85 Posts
It can. You can have separate switches for the light and the fan if you have a 2nd hot wire, which should currently be capped in the light fixture junction box.

Old 08-18-08, 04:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
A bigger issue is whether the box is rated as acceptable for fan support. A label will tell you if they are fan boxes.

If the boxes are not listed for fan support they should be changed to fan boxes.

Old 08-18-08, 08:22 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
If you just have wiring for a light, consider paddle fans with a remote kit. The remotes can be set so they don't interfere with each other. They usually have a "docking station" which can be mounted next to the light switch, if desired. You can then control the fan speed and the light - usually including dimming - from the remote.

Old 08-19-08, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by goldstar View Post
They usually have a "docking station" which can be mounted next to the light switch, if desired.
You can also get ones that mount in the wall box, replacing the switch. BTDT, and need to do it four more times. : )

Old 08-19-08, 08:37 PM
J
Everything is possible if you buy the right thing. The key is to figure out what you have, and buy the right fan and control for your situation. The first step is to look in the ceiling box and count the wires (by color) that are there. Don't do this without turning off the breaker (turning off the wall switch is not good enough), and don't disconnect anything without very, very carefully labeling and recording existing connections.

The right stuff to buy also depends on how you want to control the fan and the light. Do you want separate wall switches? Do you want to use pull chains? Do you want to use a remote control?

As pcboss says, you will almost certainly have to replace the box, except in a very few high-end homes where the builder was nice enough to pre-wire it for a fan (yea, fat chance!).

Old 08-19-08, 09:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
As pcboss says, you will almost certainly have to replace the box, except in a very few high-end homes where the builder was nice enough to pre-wire it for a fan (yea, fat chance!).
IIRC there is a code change for 08 that will require all boxes for fixtures on ceilings to be fan rated regardless of a fan being installed.

Jim

Old 08-20-08, 06:26 AM

I am doing the same thing - Installing a ceiling fan in a bedroom with a normal wall switch that is just for on/off.

After installing other fans in the house, the only fan I will ever install is a good one with a remote (light or not).

The reason is convenience and ease of use. You do not have to have ugly chains and switches on the fan AND DO NOT HAVE TO get to the fan and possibly move furniture, just to change speed or direction. In one case I mounted the remote next to the "master" on/off so it was always there. In other cases, I just put it in a drawer for storage until I needed to use it (less clutter).

Remotes are becoming very common and do not add much to the cost of a fan.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: