Bring power to ceiling fan (need help)

Old 08-24-08, 04:03 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bring power to ceiling fan (need help)

Hello all,

I just bought a new ceiling fan that has a blue, black, white, and ground wires, but where I want to install it doesn't have any previous fixture. I already bought the brace / 4x1.5 box to strongly hold up the fan where I want it. I need help in getting power to this ceiling fan. I have access to the attic but there's no electrical junction box to feed power to the fan. THe only thing I can think of is ADD a new romex wire to the switch and feed power to the fan, unless you guys have some recommendations and suggestions. I found a single-pole wall switch in the living. Opened it and found the following wires: 14-2 = white (neutral), black (hot), copper (ground). there's also another romex cable found inside this switch box: 14-3 = white, black, red, and copper. this switch controls the duplex outlets. The upper can be set to HOT by flipping the switch while the bottom of outlet is always HOT. I notice this outlet is connected to the rest of the outlets in the house. Rest of the outlets are always HOT.

Here's how the wiring looks like inside a switch box. Sorry I'm terrible at drawing:

I find it odd that there's a 14-3 and a 14-2 wires found in this same switch box. I believe the 14-2 is the power source wire because I unwired/remove caps from all the wires for testing purposes. Test

this by touching the 14-2 black wire(HOT) with a voltage tester. That's the only wire that lights up while using the voltage tester. So that has to be the power source because Other wires and outlets did not light up with the voltage tester. I believe 14-3 wire has something to do with connecting to other OUTLETS in the house.

Im aware of turning off circuit breaker prior to working on wires. My question is....Is it safe to add
a new romex wire (14-3), connect them to all the same colors from the same switch and fish the new romex wire to the attic then to the fan? If this is not recommended then can i do the following instead? In the attic, mount an electrical junction box, splice the OLD romex 14-3 wire (the one that is coming up to the attic from the switch), connect it to the mounted junction box, and have my new romex wire connected to this junction box then from there to the 4x1.5 box for the fan? Any help is appreciated.

Old 08-24-08, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
This post has several answers already at
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=357430

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: