Replacement transformer for halogen pendant

Old 08-26-08, 10:35 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replacement transformer for halogen pendant

I had purchased three halogen pendants to hang over my kitchen island a year back. Now two of these do not work. I tried replacing the bulbs and thats not it. I am suspecting the electronic transformers inside these pendants. Anybody know a good place to buy these? (HD did not seem to carry it.)
Also, the previous transformer was 12V, 60W. Do I need one with the exact same specs or can I get say a 12V, 75W and stick in the same old bulbs in it?

Thanks a bunch!
Vivek

Old 08-28-08, 03:22 PM
V
Please?

Is it because I forgot to say my magic words?

Old 08-28-08, 05:52 PM
D
You should be able to get new transformers at any decent electrical supply house.
Are the transformers built into the socket or stem of the fixture or are they located in the canopy?
There are many replacements out there that will fit into the canopy.
WAC is a pretty common brand.
Yes you can use a 75 watt. Just don't overlamp the fixture if it is only rated for 60 watts.
The common sizes for these small transformers are 35, 50, and 75 watts.

Old 08-28-08, 07:54 PM
V
Smile Thanks!

This is a transformer located in the canopy. I'm going to go ahead and order a 75W one online. Will update how things go.

Thanks!
Vivek

Old 08-28-08, 08:50 PM
D
Just make sure that the dimensions of the xformer that you are ordering will allow it to fit in the canopy.
Take a look at this site:
http://expresslighting.com/?gclid=CK...FQFAgQodEh9GQw

Old 09-08-08, 06:40 PM
V
Angry Didn't work!

I just received the new transformer in the mail. Opened up and replaced it in the base of the pendant. The light still does not work!
I tested that the wires were live with a tester. What else could be wrong? Would something else inside the housing of the pendant be wrong? 2 lights at the same time? What can I test for? Or are the pendants toast?

Thanks,
Vivek

Old 09-09-08, 06:31 AM
J
transformers usually do not just break. if the fixtures you have are the type that hang from a cable that screw into the canopy check the connections in that part that screws in. just guessing now but if you need a alan wrench to make these connections that is where the problem might be. at the very end of this piece there is a view hole you should see a really tiny conductor. if not loosen both set screws and with a small twisting motion push up on the cable. the braided portion of the cable should bunch up slightly, this is normal. once you can see the inner wire in that view hole tighten both set screws.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: