Clinging Noise coming near ceiling fan.... please help!!!!

Old 08-29-08, 03:30 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clinging Noise coming near ceiling fan.... please help!!!!

To make a long story short, we have a ceiling fan (with lights) in our bedroom, it is controlled by a dimmer light switch and a switch for the ceiling fan itself. I think the ceiling fan switch has three stages ( both the ceiling fan switch and the dimmer light are in the same box that has the wiring).

Here is the problem, we have discovered lately that if I turn the ceiling fan to stage 1, then everything is fine. BUT if I turn it to stage 2, there is a loud clinging noise coming from the area next to the fan (this noise could be also coming from the small hallway that is right outside the bedroom) . The noise sounds like a piece of metal hitting another metal. Almost like when you put pants with zippers in the dryer, you hear the clinging sound.

The ceiling fan is at least 5 years old, as it was there when we bought the house 4 yrs ago.

Does anyone know or at least can guess what that noise could be because I am worried right now. Could the ceiling fan switch causing this noise? I usually put the fan to stage 1 at night to cool th room, but now I turned it OFF because I'm scared of tat noise.

any comments or suggestions are hightly appreciated becase I'm a bit concerned!!

I'm leaving out of town, but I will check in day or two to hear any comments. Thanks for your time,

TB

Old 08-29-08, 07:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by stage 1. Is that the low speed or high?

If the noise gets louder as the speed increases it could be interference between parts magnified by the speed. It could also be a loose light globe or the pull chain striking the globe. Have you tightened all the blades to the motor?

Old 08-29-08, 07:30 PM
J
I'm sure the ceiling fan itself is causing the noise, no matter where the sound appears to be coming from (sound travels well through a variety of materials).

First, check that the fan is well balanced (i.e., it doesn't wobble as it turns). If it is not balanced, the first thing would be to balance it. You can tape pennies to the blades or just buy a fan balance kit at the home center.

If balance isn't the problem, then look and feel for obvious things. Is there a chain hitting something? Is one of the light globes loose? Are all the screws tight?

If none of that works, the fan's bearings may be shot. If so, your best bet is to replace the fan.

Old 09-01-08, 07:33 PM
T
>I am not sure what you mean by stage 1. Is that the low speed or high?
[PCBOSS} Yes I meant the low speed light.
Just to explain the source of the noise, it sounds like it is coming from the ceiling and as if it is not coming directly from where the ceiling fan in the bedroom. The noise appears to be in the hallway which is right outside the bedroom ( abour 8 feet away from the ceiling fan).

IMPORTANT: I left out this piece of info, the noise comes only when I increase the speed of the ceiling fan from the 'LOW' speed light to 'MEDIUM'. To be specific, when I switch from 'LOW' to 'MEDIUM' slowly by pulling the switch up.

Thanks for your help,

TB

Old 09-01-08, 07:52 PM
T
[Nelson] My hunch is the ceiling fan is causing this weird noise as well ( see my earlier reply for the source of the noise). The noise comes up only when I switch from the low speed of the fan to a medium speed by pulling the switch slowly.
All I have upstairs are 2 small bedrooms, one full bathroom with washer and drier, and the master bedroom where the fan is located. The hallway is between the master bedroom and the other bedrooms. My question is that could the fan be interfering with any wiring upstairs and therefore causing the noise?
I checked for anything loose in the fan as far as light bulbs, chains...etc and could not find anything.

I am just so confused by the fact that when I switch the speed from low to medium, I hear this metal to metal noise in the hallway, about 8 feet away from the fan.

Your point about the noise traveling through wires is something that I haven't thought about, so you are probably dead on right that the fan is causing the noise.

In this case, would it be better to make the switch for the ceiling fan and the dimmer light wired in two separate boxes? not sure if this is even possible.

I know I have rambled on regarding this problem, so my apologies for the long post. Thanks in advance for your time.

TB

Old 09-01-08, 08:16 PM
J
The noise is probably coming from the fan bearings. If so, there is nothing, short of replacing the fan, that will make the noise go away.

Does this noise occur only as you switch from low to medium, or does it continue as long as the fan is on the medium speed? If the former, I'd probably just ignore it. If the latter, try putting your hand on the fan (carefully) while it is on the medium speed to see if you can feel the grinding.

Old 09-02-08, 07:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Could it be possible that the vibration is being transmitted into duct work or piping in the same bay as the ceiling fan?

Old 09-06-08, 07:07 PM
T
>Does this noise occur only as you switch from low to medium, or does it continue as long as the fan is on the medium speed?

The noise occus only when I switch from Low to High for the ceiling fan. It lasts a few seconds, but it is a loud noise like I explained in my earlier post. Just like a metal hitting another metal or something along those lines.
My only dilemma is the noise is coming from the hallway ceiling which is about 8 feet away from the fan. But trust me you have convinced me that the noise is caused by the fan.
Thanks for your help, it is hightly appreciated.

TB

Old 09-06-08, 07:11 PM
T
[pcboss] Not sure what you meant by vibrations. you mean vibration coming from the fan to the hvac duct? but what could cause the noise?!

Actually, there is an air intake in the ceiling of the hallway where I hear the noise. Like I told John Nelson,the noise occurs only when I switch from Low to High for the ceiling fan. It lasts a few seconds, but it is a loud noise like I explained in my earlier post.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

TB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: