2 sets of wires from box, 1 on fixture.

Old 08-31-08, 08:23 PM
2 sets of wires from box, 1 on fixture.

I am replacing a wall light fixture in the bathroom. The light fixture is operated via a regular on/off wall switch.

As far as I can tell (the old fixture had 6 bulbs wired separately to each other, so there are several sets of white/black wires, but I think I've figured out which wires were internal to the fixture and which connect to the box):

1. The red wire from the wall connects to the black wire from the old fixture.
2. The two tan wires from the wall connect to the white wire from the old fixture.
3. The green and bare wires from the wall connect to the bare wire from the old fixture.

Is it a safe bet to just wire the new fixture the same way? I've done this before, but the other boxes in my house have only had 1 black, 1 tan, 1 bare wire.

ETA: Oops, can't edit the title. It's a bit confusing; originally I'd misunderstood the wiring of the old fixture. After more inspection, it's actually as described above, not as described in the title.

Edit 2: On further inspection after more disassembling of the old fixture, there are also 2 black wires coming from the wall, which are connected to each other and not to the fixture.

So coming out of the wall I have: 2 black, 2 tan, 1 red, 2 green, 1 bare. The 2 black are attached to each other; the 2 tan are attached to the white wire of the old fixture; the red is attached to the black wire of the old fixture; the 2 green and 1 bare are attached to the bare wire of the fixture.

And my question is really just, will it be a problem to just wire the new fixture the way the old one was wired?

Last edited by tillymarigold; 08-31-08 at 09:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 09:09 PM
When replacing a light fixture that was working properly, it is almost always correct to wire the new fixture the same way the old one was wired.

Old 09-03-08, 10:42 AM
Thanks! I figured it would probably work, but I like to get confirmation from someone who actually knows what they're talking about.

Light fixture is up and working. Only problem was that we had to clip the ends off the mounting screws ... the included ones were way too long, what's up with that? I mean, 3/4 of an inch longer than the thickness of the part of the fixture they were going through. Easier to cut them than undo all the wiring to take the plate off the box and install new screws. (Next time I'll check that first! But who assumes their light fixture came with screws that were the wrong length? And no, this isn't my mistake ... the screws came pre-installed.)