Oops...now what?!

Old 09-06-08, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Oops...now what?!

While replacing the ceiling fan wall switch I forgot to shut off the breaker and must have touched a live wire with the screwdriver because a spark occurred, my screwdriver had burn marks on it, and I tripped the breaker. I then made sure the breaker was off all the way and finished re-installing the new wall switch for the remote operated ceiling fan. After I was finished I turned the breaker back on. However, I can't seem to get the ceiling fan to work. Did I do irreparable damage to the fan or to the wires? What should I do? How do I fix this??

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-08, 05:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Call a licensed electrician.

Old 09-06-08, 05:45 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
It is possible, but since you mention it is a remote control fan, have you checked the dip switches on both the remote and the fan to make sure they match? Was the switch in place when you caused the arc? With the power off, did you inspect all the wires to ensure you didn't burn one in two?

Old 09-07-08, 07:46 AM
The fan was working with the remote before I shorted while changing the fan wall switch.

Old 09-07-08, 12:42 PM
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
OK, on to part two. Did you check all, all the wiring before you closed up the box? Were all the wires secure to the screws on the switch? Are you using stab backs on the switch?

Old 09-08-08, 01:23 PM
fan trouble

if the fan is operated by the switch there is a good chance you blew the switch. if the fan is controlled by a clicker then you might have shorted out the receiver in the fan. to check the switch if this is the control remove same wire nut the two wires together and see if fan works. if controlled by a clicker and new receiver can be purchased but a new style fan might look nicer and will be a lot easier to find

Old 09-08-08, 03:22 PM
I agree with jjkjr, if, by "wall switch", you mean a special control device that came with the fan. This is the most vulnerable part.