chandelier chain/wire too short! now what???

Old 09-09-08, 05:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
chandelier chain/wire too short! now what???

I want to swag a chandelier over my kitchen table from the current junction box in the center of the kitchen (only about 3 feet).....the current wire and chain are too short, and really I'd rather NOT move the box....can this be lengthened???
Mommybgood

Old 09-10-08, 10:33 AM
M
Yes it can. They also have to do it on really high ceilings. Use a connector l

Yes it can. They also have to do it for chandeliers on really high ceilings. Use a butt connector or heat shrink tubing to make the connection. Here is a useful <a href="http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/05.htm" target="_blank">link</a>

Old 09-10-08, 04:11 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Chain and Wire

The chain can be lengthened if you have additional length of chain to match the original. The wire should not be spliced along the chain. Replace the wire with a longer wire. Make the splice in the ceiling box.

Old 09-10-08, 04:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I concur with Ken on replacing the entire wire, as an external splice is not code compliant, and must be in a junction box.
Larry

Old 09-17-08, 04:39 PM
M
Sea Gull lighting has a wire splicer/extender that will be at Lowes by the end of September....am I correct in assuming this is code compliant???? Is rewiring the chandelier that difficult???
Shelly

Old 09-17-08, 07:36 PM
B
Actually most chandaliers are simply wired. All the arms from the sockets usually attach to a hub. The bottom cover of this hub is held on by a finial (French for fancy nut?) once the bottom is removed you will see a jumble of wires. Carefully pulling the wires out and you should locate the the power cord attached to the wires that feed the sockets. I usually use something like a twist tie to bundle the socket wires together so I do not confuse the hots from the nuetrals before I remove the wire nuts. Then attach something to the power cord like fishing line and pull it out the top of the fixture, pulling the line with it. Attach your new power cord to the fish line and pull the new cord back in. Then reconnect the socket wires. and replace the hub bottom. Not really hard but a bit tedious to do over all.

B

Old 09-19-08, 10:00 AM
M
Thank you so much for your help...I did look in the hub, and like you said, it doesn't appear too complicated...this is a five light fixture...I'll be using 60W candelabra bulbs...what wire should I look for rewiring???
Thanks again,
Shelly

Old 09-19-08, 07:35 PM
B
Standard lamp cord from the hardware store is fine. Check the existing cord and see if it has a wire size/AWG on it most of it does. On darker wires it is sometimes imprinted into it and can be hard to read. Or cut of a small section of it and take it with you to the store. I believe it is 18AWG but I have seen some done with 16AWG.

B

Old 09-20-08, 12:27 AM
M
Thank you...hopefully I'll get this thing done tomorrow!

Old 09-21-08, 03:26 AM
M
The swag kits at the home center do not come with a ground wire. What do we do about the ground wire from the chandelier?

Old 09-21-08, 07:37 PM
B
The big box stores should have rolls of ground wire that you buy by the foot. If not try a smaller hardware store.

B

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: