Dimmer Switch not working

Old 09-11-08, 06:15 PM
Y
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Dimmer Switch not working

It worked fine until today when a electrician changed out two Halo can lights over a counter with two mini-pendant lights we bought from Lowe's. On-Off is fine, but no dimmer feature.

He did not fool with the switch at any time and was stumped as to why it would not work.

Any ideas, please ?

Old 09-12-08, 08:04 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
The dimmer may have fried in the changeout process. Some even have warning about making sure not to change out bulbs with the power on.

Old 09-12-08, 03:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Are the mini pendants line voltage or working from a transformer?

Old 09-12-08, 07:03 PM
Y
They run on 120V AC, which is line voltage, I guess. Same as the now departed can lights.

Old 09-12-08, 07:50 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are you sure that there isn't a transformer hiding in the canopy or the fixture itself.
There is a possibility that the dimmer is not compatible, especially if you have an electronic ballast/transformer.

Old 09-12-08, 09:13 PM
Y
dezwit:

Pretty sure no transf. or ballast. I have a ass'y instruction sheet showing all the parts.

Besides black & white wires there is a grounding wire. Do you think if it is not properly connected, that would cause the problem?

Old 09-16-08, 01:44 PM
Y
Surely I could not have stumped you knowledgeable folks out there.

It should be obvious my electrical knowledge would fit in a gnat's watch pocket.

Beer 4U2

Old 09-16-08, 02:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A dimmer that still turns on and off but will no longer dim is a sure sign of a fried dimmer. You need a new dimmer.

Dimmers typically get fried when a high current passes through them, even for a very brief time. This often happens when somebody miswires a short circuit, and then corrects it, or when somebody accidentally creates a short circuit by touching two things together that should not be touching. But this can also happen with something as simple as a light bulb burning out--sometimes, but not often, a bulb burns out with a current spike high enough to fry a dimmer.

It is possible, and perhaps probable, that the electrician caused this problem. But you'd be hard pressed to prove it. You might at least ask the electrician about it. If he's interested enough in your satisfaction, he might replace the dimmer on his own dime.

Old 09-16-08, 08:41 PM
Y
Duh...............

pcboss hit it with the first reply. It did not register that when testing, the light went on and then off. The electrician found that the ceramic holder wire crimp did not hold and wires had touched.

He got me a new holder/base at no cost to me and rewired the light.

Thanks to you both.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: