Fluorescent Light Wiring

Old 09-13-08, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fluorescent Light Wiring

I'm in the process of switching out the to 2 ceiling light fixtures with 2 flourescent fixtures with 4 T8 bulbs each. The lights work off 1 switch. Of course the wires are different colors and I wanted some guidance on what wire goes to what. The fluorescent fixtures have a black and white wire. The first ceiling box has 2 red, 2 white and a bare copper wire. There are also 2 black wires that are connected with a wire nut.The 2 reds went to 2 screws and the 2 whites went to 2 other screws on the fixture base. The bare copper is not hooked to anything. I assume the bare copper wire goes to the green ground screw on the fixture I wasn't certain what to do with the rest of the wiring.
The second box has 2 red wires and a white wire, a bare copper wire and 2 black wires connected with a wire nut.
Not sure if it's relevant but the house was built in '98.
I have a bit of experience with electrical but didn't want to proceed without making sure first.
Thanks for the assist.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-08, 11:03 AM
The Red Wires Will Go To The Black On The New Fixture And The White To The White

Old 09-13-08, 11:53 AM
So, I'll have a total of 3 wires connected on the first fixture (2 whites to white and 2 reds to black). Do I need to connect the bare ground wire to the ground screw?
For the second fixture, I'm going to connect the 2 reds to the black and the 1 white to the white, correct? Connect the ground wire there also??
I was begining to think about Inspector Clouseau with the lamp in the hotel room, when he shocked himself!

Old 09-14-08, 06:02 AM
should of checked back sooner. your connections sound right. always ground your equipment. just a little tip. one connect the ground wires first then the white (neutral) then the hot (in this case red which is being switched) the black wires in those boxes are always hot (constant feed)

Old 09-15-08, 11:24 AM
Thank you!!

Hey JJKJR,
I just wanted to say thanks for your assistance regarding the wiring for my fluorescent lights. Everything worked out well and the lights look and work prefectly.
Best regards,
NCPD25