Portable Light Help

Old 09-19-08, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Portable Light Help

Hello, and thanks in advance for any help provided!

Im not after very typical homeowner advice, but judging from the wealth of knowledge that seems to be kicking around here im sure somebody could help.

My goal is to build myself a portable blacklight that works on either AC or DC12vlt power sources and can either be plugged into any standard wall socket or attached easily to a car or motorcycle battery.

I will straight out admit im nearly completely incompetent when it comes to electrical issues, but im a big believer in DIY. I have found pre-made set-ups of exactly what I want, but they cost $100, not a small amount for a guy such as myself.

I have tried and tried to find a "how to" on this but with no luck. From what I can tell this would require an "inverter" though I have no idea what type or how much the wattage matters since it would only be for a single long bulb.

I also have no idea what sort of hardware or wiring would be needed to attched the bulb to the power source(s). Nor how he wiring would be conected (im a complete noob)

If you are curious as to why I need this its for attracting night flying insects in the field, I study them and this is an exremely valuable tool.

Again, thanks for any and all help. Cheers! Jack
p.s. here is a direct link to the exact item im hoping to build, I was able to find it for sale only on one web site and as I said a bit pricey for me. http://www.bioquip.com/html/view_pro...ogNum=2804&P=3

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-08, 03:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the forums! You will first need to determine the light spectrum of the bulb you need for the collection. Then determine if it can be used with 12vdc, since it will be easier to use in the "field". Making a frame/holder won't be a problem once you find out the above. Buying the components may prove to be more expensive than buying the unit, just so you will be aware.

Old 09-19-08, 07:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The easy way would probably be a 12V CF BLB, a small inverter (the bulb would be about 13W, inverter 75W), and an appropriate fixture.

A a bit more work (researching, possibly painting as well), but more efficient, would be to fine a 12V fluorescent fixture, and a Black light tube to fit it. I'd check surplus outletss, such as "All Electronics" for such things.