How many recessed lights for a 11x22 kitchen

Old 09-21-08, 09:00 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How many recessed lights for a 11x22 kitchen

How many recessed lights for a 11x22 kitchen. Should I use 4" or 5" cans and how should they be spaced

Old 09-21-08, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Recessed light spacing is dependant on the fixture size, bulb type, mounting height, trim type.

FWIW I use 6" recessed with a step baffle trim on a 4' center, grid pattern. Your cabinet layout will influence this as well as the ceiling framing and any obstructions in the ceiling like duct work or plumbing.

I would not use 4", too small and poor light distribution. You would need a lot of them too.

Old 09-21-08, 10:04 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here is the approach I took:

Plan on a minimum of 2.75 to 3.5 watts of lighting per square foot if you want enough light to see what you are doing.
Can lights need to be spaced 4 to 5 feet apart to achieve even lighting on the floor (assuming an 8 foot ceiling).
The row of cans closest to the work surface should be placed no further than 1.5 feet from the edge of the work surface. (You don't want your head to create a shadow in the area you are working!)

Make a floor plan showing all of the counter space and location of joists. Lay out the cans in a grid pattter. I have a kitchen that is about 15 feet by 12 feet with 8-5" cans (45 watt bulbs) around the perimeter and a 9th one over the sink. Two low voltage pendants (25 watts each) over the central island and 100 watts of low voltage under cabinet. When working in the kitchen at night I usually have the low voltage dimmed more than half way so I figure total watts is around 450 or 2.5 watts per square foot when dimmed and 550 watts (3.0 watts per SF) with it all on.

This provides adequate lighting and the location of the lighing precludes shadows in the work areas.

Good luck with your project.

DavidJ

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: