Combining two switches into one?

Old 09-25-08, 10:45 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Combining two switches into one?

Hi. I currently have two sets of lights, controlled by separate switches. Instead, I would like to use a single switch to control both lights.

How should I go about doing this? Can I tie the two wires together with pigtails (two blacks together, two whites together) and then connect the pigtails to the switch box?

Is this safe, or is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks so much!

Old 09-26-08, 04:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
First you will need to determine if both lights are on the same circuit. Do they both go off when you turn off the breaker for that area.

What colors and number of wires are at the switch box and connected to the switches?

Old 09-26-08, 11:24 AM
Y
They are part of the same circuit. For each light, there is a black and a white wire going into the box.

Old 09-26-08, 03:45 PM
J
Still a lot of ambiguity here.

When you say "the box", do you mean the box containing the switches, or the box where the lights are mounted?

Are both switches in the same box?

Are there exactly two cables into this double-gang switch box? No more? Are the black and white wires of cable 1 connected to switch 1, and the black and white wires of cable 2 connected to switch 2?

The answer to whether or not this is possible is probably yes, but we need to make sure of the details first. It would also be very helpful if you tell us why you want to do this.

Old 10-08-08, 04:54 AM
D
These are all important things that everyone has mentioned. However if you do not wish to splice the two wires together there is an alternative. Leviton (as well as many other companies) make a switch that has two single pole switches built into one switch.

Obviously without any sort of specific specifcations I cannot give you a part number that will help you out. However here is the link to the Leviton part. http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCC...2:US&item=3044 You would be looking to pay around $10 - $15 for this item depending on your local supply house.

Old 10-11-08, 09:59 AM
C
Just take two wires off one switch and connect them to the other switch' the switch simply breaks and makes one wire, just make sure you're not connecting a live and nuetral together.Peeping On U2

Old 10-11-08, 03:31 PM
J
There are several situations in which chuffed's advice could be dangerous. Please provide more information before proceeding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: