Recessed lighting in cathedral ceiling questions

Old 09-30-08, 09:59 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Recessed lighting in cathedral ceiling questions

I have installed (with great results) recessed lighting in my kitchen (complete gut) and basement (retrofit). I now want to install them in my living room. The problem is that the ceiling is cathedral - in other words right above the sloped ceiling is the roof.

I would like to use the 4" cans (I do not care for the large ones) so clearance to the roof is not that much of an issue, but what I am concerned about is creating hot spots on the roof during snow / freeze conditions. There will probably be about 2" - 4" of clearance but I'm imagining that it will heat up / melt the snow or ice which would potentially cause a problem.

My other issues are as follows:

1) The house has ungrounded wiring (except for what I installed) so I figure I will take a load calculation of a nearby new (grounded) circuit and tap off of that . Sound right? Any easier approach by using the existing 2-wire wiring that goes to the switch?

2) This will be a retro fit - I do have access to the attic above, but in this room (as mentioned) there is no clearance so I worry about keeping the existing blown-in insulation away from the non-IC lights I plan on using. In the kitchen I put wood blocks around the lights and new batt insulation, but without tearing down the ceiling that would not work here.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Old 09-30-08, 06:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
You would be very foolish, and possibly violate energy conservation codes, by installing non-IC rated cans. You will pay into eternity increased energy bills to heat and cool due to heat loss or gain through 4" chimneys. AFAIK, there are no IC rated 4" old work cans.

Using the old wiring is not an option as the fixtures will have a requirement to be used with 90 degree rated insulation. Your only option is to run new wiring. Ungrounded circuits are not permitted to be extended.

Old 10-06-08, 10:55 AM
S
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
You would be very foolish, and possibly violate energy conservation codes, by installing non-IC rated cans. You will pay into eternity increased energy bills to heat and cool due to heat loss or gain through 4" chimneys. AFAIK, there are no IC rated 4" old work cans.

Using the old wiring is not an option as the fixtures will have a requirement to be used with 90 degree rated insulation. Your only option is to run new wiring. Ungrounded circuits are not permitted to be extended.
I took a look at the attic and I have 5" rafters running between the ceiling sheetrock and the roof sheathing which severly limits my choices as I am understanding I need 1/2" between the top of the can and the roof (correct me if I'm wrong).

So what are my options in this situation? The lighting in the room is non-existent (currently a torch lamp) and I want lighting as good as my kitchen.

I was not aware of the requirements for IC / air tight cans previously and the ones in my kitchen are non-IC. I have been through one winter and did not notice any heat loss but perhaps it is worth doing some testing. I can replace them with IC cans as I have access above.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: