Replacing old ceiling fan with new, wiring problems

Old 10-02-08, 07:49 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Replacing old ceiling fan with new, wiring problems

I am replacing an old ceiling fan in my house that was built in 1990. I need help with the wiring. I have the following wires coming from the ceiling, white(I think Power), black, red and copper(neutral)...and the following from the fan..white, black and blue and green(neutral). There is a separate switch for the fan and light, I looked at the switch and both have black and white wires hooked up. Please help.GI2

Old 10-02-08, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Originally Posted by rdwhiterx
I have the following wires coming from the ceiling, white(I think Power), black, red and copper(neutral)...and the following from the fan..white, black and blue and green(neutral). There is a separate switch for the fan and light, I looked at the switch and both have black and white wires hooked up. Please help.GI2
White is not the power, it would be the neutral or grounded conductor.

Copper, or green, is the grounding conductor.

Typically with a black and a red from the ceiling, the black would go to the fan black. Ceiling red would go to the blue or black with a white stripe.

All whites together. All greens or bares together and to the box if metallic.

Did you pay attention to the connections to the old fan before you removed it? Have you changed any splices that were not directly wired to the fan wires?

Reading your post again makes me think you may have switch loops involved. How many and what color wires are in the ceiling box?

Old 10-02-08, 07:01 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I did not pay attention to the way the wires were on the old fan. I will if I replace another fan. In the ceiling box I have white, black, red and uncoated copper. I have not changed any splices. There were none. I now have power to fan but not to light.

Old 10-02-08, 08:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Have you checked the quality of the connection for the light kit?

What splices did you make?

Old 10-04-08, 08:25 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
This is pretty straightforward.

Black from ceiling to black from fan.
Red from ceiling to blue from fan.
White from ceiling to white from fan.
Bare from ceiling to green from fan.

If you have it connected this way, it should work. Make sure the connections are good. Make sure the pull chain for the light (if any) is in the "on" position (need to use trial and error). Make sure the pull chain for the fan (if any) is in the "high" position.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: