Bathroom light/fan double switch has extra terminal

Old 10-04-08, 03:48 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom light/fan double switch has extra terminal

My bathroom double switch needed replacing when the top (light) switch got so wiggly that it stopped turning on the lights. The bottom switch always worked for the fan.

I bought a replacement, but while installing it, I noticed it had an extra screw on one side. I ignored it and replaced the wires to the screw placement that the old one had.

Now, the lights worked from the BOTTOM (fan) switch, as WELL as the fan. All or nothing. So I moved one wire to the extra screw, and now the lights work on the top, but when you flip the bottom switch, instead of working the fan, it blows the fuse.

Rather than play with it any more, I thought I would ask someone that actually knew what the hell they were doing...

(Although I suspect it might be upside down, that doesn't explain it all...)

Anybody got any ideas? I'll trade for phone info, as I work for AT&T... lol

Thanks, =B=

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-08, 03:56 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Did any chance that extra screw is green in colour ??

If so that the case you tripped the breaker.

Did you any chance you still have the old switch or you threw it out in the trashcan ?

also just wondering what colour wires in the switch box you should see incomming line pair { typically black and white } and the wirenuts.
And the numbers of outgoing wire like one pair to luminaire and one to fan otherwise it may have XX-3 NM cable which it will have black , red , white and of course the ground there as well.

If this info don't tune in place let us know right away.

Merci,Marc

Oh by the way can you run the switch model numbers i can able tell which verison and the proper connection.

Last edited by french277V; 10-04-08 at 03:58 AM. Reason: add a quick BTW