Replacing recessed can with pendant

Old 06-15-05, 02:26 PM
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Replacing recessed can with pendant

Is there an available mounting plate/bracket that will allow me to simply replace a recessed can fixture (over the kitchen sink) with a hanging pendant fixture (most of which terminate in a plug, FWIW)

Old 06-17-05, 04:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
eddieo45,

Not that I am aware of because basically when you have a recess can you have either a 6" or 8" can for the most part ( some can be smaller ) but removing it leaves an opening large than the base on most hanging lights.

So adding the ceiling box could be as simple as using a twist style fan box which will support the weight fine and be easy or you could try to mount a box in the same opening but would need to nail it somehow...can be tricky...

My suggestion is to use a add on fan twist extention kit as if it were a ceiling fan...it will hold the weight which is not much but will slide in the opening and twist to fit firmly.

Now ofcourse you will need to patch the remaining opening which can be done with nylon mesh and sheetrock mud and a little paint and all done.

But I would choose a hanging light with a base on it maybe slighlty larger the an the opening you are replacing....if it was me I would cut a piece of sheet rock ( would look like a donut ) place (2) strips of wood above the hole in the ceiling to the sides of the box you installed...so that now you can put the donut over the box and then nylon mesh tape the outter edge of the sheetrock piece....drive some screws through the sheetrock piece into the strips of wood above and mud and paint...

But again......probably a little more info that you need....

Old 02-16-08, 10:31 AM
B
Followup Question

We are replacing 1 recessed light above our sink with 2 pendant lights. Any suggestion of how to keep the hole from being exposed? Should I make a cover or design a board to be the base of both lights?

I am open for any and all suggestions.

Old 02-16-08, 11:55 AM
kudos to you for searching and resurrecting this old thread (this guy didn't); I did eventually find exactly what I (and you) was looking for, but never followed through with the conversion. The trouble with the experts on these forums is that they don't put any energy into finding ways around doing actual electrical work; they put their energies into just doing the electrical work! I need to be careful, I think, pointing you in the direction of the products you seek, as I've been chastized for posting links in this forum. So, Google the phrase "recessed light conversion", without the quotes, and you'll find a bunch.

Old 02-17-08, 05:10 AM
R
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eddieo45
The trouble with the experts on these forums is that they don't put any energy into finding ways around doing actual electrical work; they put their energies into just doing the electrical work!
That's because the consequences of giving bad advice on an electrical DIY forum can be deadly.

Bigtuffy10, if you decide to purchase one of the conversion kits, make sure it's UL listed. The search phrase that eddieo suggested turned up a couple of sites with products that didn't carry the UL label. Also, I don't know that I'd trust something like that with a ceiling fan or a heavy chandelier.

For the record, posting links in response to questions isn't against this site's TOS. Posting links for personal gain is.

Old 02-17-08, 08:03 AM
There are lights available with a conversion kit. Saw them at Lowes but I am sure you could find them elsewhere.

Old 10-10-08, 01:37 PM
I should have invented it myself (all I was missing is the know-how!):

Update your old recessed lighting by converting it to a trendy pendant light...it's easy as changing a bulb.

Simply unscrew the existing recessed-can light bulb, and screw-in the Instant Pendant Light socket adapter. No rewiring, painting, drywall repair, or tools needed!

Built-in cord spindle lets you wrap the cord to hang the pendent at any height. Antique-bronze-color cover plate hides the light can to give it a finished look, and helps save energy by seal the can's leaky opening.

9in diameter, 8in tall alabaster-glass pendant. Takes up to a 60w bulb (not included); incandescent or energy-saving compact fluorescent.
Price: $49.99

Old 10-12-08, 06:57 AM
C
wow, thats great. i need to do that also. but i want a 3 light fixture. though i would settle for a pendent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: