Switch problem.

Old 10-12-08, 01:01 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switch problem.

I have an problem with a switch in my kitchen. It's an pretty old house. The switch is wired with 4 wire, but it doesn't use the ground. There is a black, white, red, and green. It use to have a switch for a fan light combo on it. I wanna put a single pole switch on it because we have done away with the fan, and we now just have a light up there. Any help someone can give me I would appreciate it, thanks.

Old 10-12-08, 01:11 PM
J
Depends on how you wired the light, and how the fan/light was previously wired.

For best advice, please fill in the "location" field of your profile with your city.

When you say that you have a black, white, red and green wires in the switch box, is that all the wires in the box, one of each color? No more anywhere in the box?

When the light was installed, what wires were at the ceiling and how did you disconnect them from the old fan/light, and how did you reconnect them to the new light?

There are a lot of possibilities, and we need this further information to narrow them down a bit.

Old 10-12-08, 01:30 PM
M
switch problem

There was one black, red, white and green in the box that's all. The switch there now does not use the green wire. The dimmer switch for the fan was next to the light switch is now gone. I will try and get the rest of the info. you need. Thanks for the help.

Old 10-12-08, 01:36 PM
M
switch problem

There is one white and one black in the box for where the dimmer was and that's all that's in there.

Old 10-12-08, 01:44 PM
M
switch problem

This actually my mothers house. She had someone else put the light up. Without taking the hole light down best i could tell there was one black one white and one ground in the light not sure if they may have pushed any into the box or not.

Old 10-12-08, 02:03 PM
J
Take the light down and check.

Old 10-12-08, 02:45 PM
M
switch problem

If i get a chance this week I will try and take it down and check. I have some other things to do. I also forgot to mention in the box with the switch the black and white were hot and the red wasn't and also the green was not attached to the switch.

Old 10-12-08, 05:24 PM
J
When you post back, tell us exactly how you determined which wires were "hot" in the swtich box. Tell us what test instrument you used, and exactly how you used it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: