recessed lights/ceiling fan wiring

Old 10-16-08, 07:28 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recessed lights/ceiling fan wiring

I have a wiring situation that I can't figure out, and before I start with trial and error, I thought I'd get some advice...

Here goes: I want to install two recessed lights and wire them so that they will turn on/off using the same switch that controls the ceiling fan/light. The problem is this: I have a black and white wire (and ground) coming into the junction box above the ceiling fan and then black/white/red wires going to the switch. Wiring was black to black, white to white, and blue (from ceiling fan light) to red.

How do I make the connections to the recessed lights when there are only black and white coming from them?

It seems like it should be fairly straight-forward but I want to get it right. Appreciate the input!

Old 10-16-08, 07:56 PM
J
Run a black/white/bare cable from the electrical box where the fan is to the location of the first new light. At the fan, connect the black wire of your new cable to the same place where the blue wire from the fan is currently connected. Then connect the white wire of your new cable to the same place where the white wire from the fan is currently connected. Be careful not to "unmake" any connections that are currently there.

Run another black/white/bare cable from the first new light to the second new light. At each light, connect all wires by matching colors.

The two new lights will then come on any time the ceiling fan's light is turned on.

P.S. Good for you for not using trial-and-error. Trial-and-error sometimes yields installations that work (for a while) but are not safe.

Old 10-17-08, 10:17 AM
R
John: Made all the connections this morning, and everything works as it should.

Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: