Replacing ceiling fan with no wall switch with chandelier

Old 10-19-08, 05:19 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing ceiling fan with no wall switch with chandelier

Hi all,

I have an older home that was remodeled recently. We want to convert our living room into a dining room and therefore we'd like to replace the ceiling fan with a chandelier. Problem is that the ceiling fan is remote controlled; there is no switch on the wall to control it. I took apart the switch box that is there for the other lighting in the room and did not see any other wires that might have been for the fan. What can I do to install a chandelier here? I was thinking of another remote control type switch to install on the chandelier, but couldn't find anything that fit the bill online. HELP!

Old 10-20-08, 08:31 AM
J
You've just discovered why it's not a good idea to wire a ceiling fan without a wall switch.

The first thing to do is to figure out where the ceiling fan is getting its power from. Is there an accessible attic above this room?

Are you sure that nothing cuts power to the fan? Turn on the fan and then try turning off every switch in the whole house.

Old 10-20-08, 09:19 AM
H
Nope, The fan is on the first floor, and no switch controls it. Really a silly omission. Anyway, I think I have found a solution. X10 makes home automation products which I think I can use to create a remote control for the chandelier. I have to install a module in the ceiling fixture to control the light, and then have to get a remote and a transmitter for the remote signal.
X10 PRO DIMMER, FIXTURE (XPDF)
Slimline Wireless Switch ss13a
RR501 transmitter

Old 08-19-09, 05:55 PM
S
Originally Posted by hokienutzz View Post
Nope, The fan is on the first floor, and no switch controls it. Really a silly omission. Anyway, I think I have found a solution. X10 makes home automation products which I think I can use to create a remote control for the chandelier. I have to install a module in the ceiling fixture to control the light, and then have to get a remote and a transmitter for the remote signal.
X10 PRO DIMMER, FIXTURE (XPDF)
Slimline Wireless Switch ss13a
RR501 transmitter
Hi,
I have exactly the same problem you had a year ago. Were you able to use the X10 to
control your chandelier?

Old 08-20-09, 09:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Shiela,

I doubt that the OP is still here to answer your question.

I really don't have any x10 experience. Check back while I check with others.

Old 08-22-09, 07:54 AM
H
Yep, the x10 solution worked, however, the dimmer now seems to have stopped working. My guess is the battery is low, but seeing as we hardly ever use the remote switch, I find it hard to believe...

I ended up purchasing the x10 gear off their site on ebay, and it was a very pleasant experience. Install was really easy and the system can handle multiple lights. neat stuff.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: