Help! My housekeeper killed my ceiling fan!

Old 10-22-08, 05:30 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! My housekeeper killed my ceiling fan!

I don't know what she did, but now it won't turn on either manually or using the remote. It's a Harbor Breeze fan, and I can't find the documentation from when I bought it so I don't even know how if there's a "reset" button or anything.

I have looked all over the unit and can't seem to find a master switch that would explain it. Please help! I hate sitting in the dark...it's my only light source in that room!

Old 10-22-08, 05:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I hate it when my housekeeper comes in with her AK47 and tries to kill my stuff too. Have you checked the circuit breaker that controls this part of your house? Do you have a wall switch to control the fan and light? Do you have separate switches that control the fan and light? Has the remote been dropped, or has the battery been changed lately? Are your light bulb(s) good?
Sorry for all the questions, but we gotta know.

Old 10-22-08, 06:31 PM
D
[Snip]Have you checked the circuit breaker that controls this part of your house? Do you have a wall switch to control the fan and light? Do you have separate switches that control the fan and light?

I flipped the circuit breakers (all of them, just in case), no response. The fan is only controlled by pulling the chains and by using the remote (no wall switch).

[Sniop]Has the remote been dropped, or has the battery been changed lately? Are your light bulb(s) good?

I don't know about dropping the remote, but I doubt it. It usually sits on its little wall mount. And the bulbs were working when I left the house in the morning (as did the fan). She was likely cleaning the dust off the blades, and did something to either the settings (frequency?) or something else. I'm pretty sure the battery works ok cuz I can see the red indicator light go on when I push any of the buttons.

I don't see any way to re-set or adjust the frequency or anything, either on the remote or the unit itself. Argh, why don't these mfgrs post their user manuals?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Old 10-22-08, 07:23 PM
F
Did you have any chance you have more than one ceiling fan have the same remote control ??

and majorty of most ceiling fan useally have wall switch and useally can cause the curpit if not used much at all.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-22-08, 07:34 PM
D
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
Did you have any chance you have more than one ceiling fan have the same remote control ??

and majorty of most ceiling fan useally have wall switch and useally can cause the curpit if not used much at all.

Merci,Marc
Hi Marc,
Thanks for helping out. It's the only fan that has a remote - the other two are wall switches. Is there some sort of switch on the unit that I'm not seeing? How does one normally calibrate it? I didn't do the install on it.

Old 10-22-08, 07:46 PM
F
Danabug.,

If you want to recalberted the remote control here what ya do.,

( A note the instuction will useally cover majorty of the fan remotes )

Take the cover off from the back where you will normally see the battery located you should see tiny switches most controller usealy have 4 but some other brand may have more or less.

you should able get up to the remote sensor on the fan itself { it will be wise idea to turn the breaker off for this one for safety reason }
Take the capony cover off and see the remote control there and you should able see the tiny switch up there as well.

you should see both sets of switch are matched up like this IOII and IOII or sets of up or down arrows as well.

Once you verifed to see both are the same it should work if not change the battries { that I will do first before you mess around with dip switch setting }

some case you have to hold for few seconds before it will respond as well if feel sluggish you may want to change battery if that don't slove it then check the remote contoller on the fan itself.

It should work once you follow the directions as I give out here and I am sure others can chime in if have more trick with it.

Merci,Marc

Old 10-22-08, 08:24 PM
D
I'll give it a shot in when I have daylight to work with. Also, will go get another battery in the morning to see if that helps too. Thanks so much, Marc! I really appreciate your help. I'll let you know if it worked tomorrow.

Old 10-23-08, 08:08 AM
J
I have had remotes fail. You can, as a temporary experiment, bypass the remote receiver up at the ceiling. While you're up there you can test for voltage.

And double-check for wall switches. Maybe it's been so long since you've used them that you forgot that there is one somewhere that controls this. Most fans do have a wall switch that provides power, and people with remotes generally leave these switches on at all times (except the manufacturers suggest you turn them off when you go on vacation or other times where there is a long time between uses).

Old 10-23-08, 11:11 AM
D
So here's what I don't get - even if the remote doesn't work, why won't the chain-pulls work?

re: wall switch, I have a wall switch that goes to one of the outlets, and I made sure it's in the On position.

Old 10-23-08, 04:29 PM
D
I replaced the battery. No change. Pulled off the light canopy, couldn't find the remote sensor. Pulled off the entire unit from the ceiling, succeeded only in completely disconnecting the entire thing, including the wire splicing. I have no intention of touching the damn thing now. Guess I'd better call an electrician...*sigh*.

You guys were a great help - I have a feeling it might be something bigger than just the remote. Thank you for trying!

Suffice to say, the maid should pay for this little episode.

Old 10-23-08, 04:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
If and only if you can prove it is the maid's fault. Don't jump into a hole without a shovel do dig yourself out with. What prompted you to pull the entire fan from the ceiling? Once you got it down, have you found the remote receiver? Did you check the dip switch pin settings as suggested? Were they the same on the remove receiver as they are on the remote control?

Old 10-23-08, 05:40 PM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Since the fan was wired without a wall switch, it was probably wired from a receptacle circuit. Start checking for a popped GFCI.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: