Need to relocate light switch... have a couple of questions

Old 10-23-08, 09:23 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need to relocate light switch... have a couple of questions

Okay... I'm trying to relocate a panel with two light switches on it. I'll need to drill through a stud of 6 inches (3 2x4s) so I can route it to its new location. I've taken the light switch out and there are a number of wires in the metal box. From the looks of it, the wires going into the metal box are armoured cables. The two switches themselves are connected by 2 black wires. Each top screw of the switches have it's independent black wire. 1 red wire that is connected/tapped into the bottom screws of the switches.

My questions are:

1) If I use an armoured cable (BX type), do I literally just connect each wire (3 total) and route to the location I want it to be?

2) If I use romex, do I need to ground the cable? I'm asking because I'm not sure if it's needed because I'm technically just "extending" the wires and the current wiring has already been grounded.

3) I have a spool of gauge 12 THHN Type T90 solid copper wires... can I just buy a flexible metal/plastic conduit and extend the wires through the stud that way?

4) Lastly...I wasn't able to tell what the actual gauge size on the current wires are. I ended up cutting 3 inches from the current existing wire and took it to the hardware store. They matched it up and told me it's a 12 gauge. I'm not 100% sure because the light switch itself is 15amps and I thought all 15 amps had to be 14 gauge. On my fuse box, the switch I'm relocating says it's 15 amp.

Thanks for any feedback and sorry for the newbie question.

Old 10-23-08, 02:25 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: