Environmental-bulbs that work with dimmers?

Old 10-25-08, 04:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Environmental-bulbs that work with dimmers?

Hello.

I try and use "environmentally friendly" bulbs throughout the house, but there are two places where I have dimmer switches and CF bulbs won't work (they just flicker like mad). Is there another alternative from the traditional bulbs that will still work with dimmers, yet will be better for the environment?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Kristin.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-08, 04:55 PM
There are CFL bulbs made that can be used with dimmers.They are specifically made for the purpose and will be labeled as such.You may have to go to a better hardware store or lighting shop to find them.GE makes them and I would assume some other manufacturers.

If there is an Ace hardware store in your area these bulbs are stocked in the Ace warehouses and if the store does not carry them they can be ordered.This is done by computer in the store and will arrive on the next of the two order per week the store receives.

Otherwise there are some halogen bulbs designed to be somewhat energy saving and longer life but not as much so in either respect as a CFL.

Old 10-25-08, 08:24 PM
LED lightbulbs work with a dimmer, they can be expensive though.

Old 10-25-08, 09:43 PM
Thanks!
I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow and will see what I can get/order — worst case, I'll order online! Thanks again, this is great news!!!
k.

Old 10-27-08, 08:13 AM
Dimmable cfl's are not good unless you like buzzing noises. I guess the technology just isn't there yet. Led's aren't quite there yet either. In dimmable applications I would recommend the newer energy advantage halogens like have already been suggested. Philips have some that are pretty good. <a href="http://www.vosslighting.com/storefrontB2BWEB/browse.do?action=refresh_browse&ctg_id=2057">Energy Advantage Halogens</a>

Old 12-03-08, 08:03 AM
Just a note —*I purchased a "dimmable" CFL and it was a total waste of money. While it didn't result in any "buzz", the "dimmability" of it was, shall I say, lacking. Basically, I could set it to "full on", "a little less than full on" and off. I'd say there was about a 5-10% range vs a traditional bulb via dimmer switch. Bummer.

Old 12-30-08, 08:52 AM
One thing that no-one has thought of here, is the dimmer itself. If the dimmer is of any age, it will be incompatable with cfl's. Newer dimmers should work fine. However, make sure the are listed for use with cfl's.