Moving outdoor flood light(s)

Old 10-26-08, 06:08 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Moving outdoor flood light(s)

I have two flood lights in my backyard, and I'd like to move both of them, but I'm wondering what is involved.

One of the lights is located at the corner of the house at the top of the first floor, but I'd like to move it up to the top of the second floor - there's a tree/shrub in the way that I don't want to part with that's blocking it, but the tree is only one story high (and won't get any higher).

The second flood light is actually a recessed light that is installed in the backdoor overhang (I think my terminology is right?). Anyway, the previous owner installed a gazebo that covers the light. I'd like to just maybe install a regular (not recessed) flood light a few feet away.

Any suggestions on what this would involve? I've done a minor amount of electrical work (rewired new ballast, outlets, bathroom fixtures, etc.). I've also used a fish wire once to install speaker wires in the walls.

Old 10-26-08, 06:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Your splices to the existing wiring must be made in permanently accessible junction boxes. The boxes cannot be buried.

Your wiring outside must use a wiring method suitable for use outside like type UF cable or a raceway system with wet rated conductors. PVC conduit and THWN conductors would be one option.

As far as the best method would depend on your specific conditions on how to best connect the new fixture locations with the old locations.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: