Installation of Ceiling Fixture - Two white wires

Old 11-04-08, 09:56 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Installation of Ceiling Fixture - Two white wires

Hello!

I am trying to install a simple ceiling light fixture. The problem is that the two wires coming out of the box are both white and copper. How do I know which to hook up to the black white and which to hook to the white wire?

Any help would be so appreciated. Thanks!

Old 11-04-08, 01:56 PM
J
In a code-compliant world, this isn't supposed to happen. But it is nevertheless a common wiring mistake.

I'm going to guess that there are two black wires in the back of the box that are connected to each other. Is this guess correct?

Do you own any electrical test equipment at all? This will be simpler if you do, but we can get it done even if you don't.

Old 11-04-08, 06:35 PM
F
John Nelson is right on that part and also the other thing is the switch is in switch loop format ??

That can change a bit with the set up.

Do you have NCV ( non concat voltage tester ) ? if so it will ring or tone or light up on one conductor is hot.

Let us know what you find out as myself and John Nelson describing this details here.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-09-08, 07:40 AM
L
Two white wires

Hello!

Thank you kindly for responding. Unfortunately, there are no other wires in the box. Only two white wires coming out. There are not two black wires tied together in the back.

Do I need to find an NCV?

I took off the plate in the ceiling of another room to see how it was done. There is one white wire coming out and another white wire loop. No black wires. Now I'm even more confused...

Old 11-09-08, 10:54 AM
J
Your installation will be safer if you spend the $15 on an non-contact voltage "tick" tester. It will quickly and easily tell you which wire is hot and which is neutral.

Old 11-16-08, 10:47 AM
L
OK, thanks! Would the 'hot' wire be the same as the 'black wire or the white wire? In other words, is it negative or positive?

Stephanie

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: