farm yard light not still on durring the day

Old 11-19-08, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
farm yard light not still on durring the day

i have a yard light i think it is a mercury light it does not turn off durring the day. i have not tried anything yet but thinking of starting with the photo cell. any other sugestions of possible problems would be helpful.

Old 11-19-08, 04:39 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Welcome to the forums! I think you are on the right track. Most of the control eyes are mounted on top of the light and utilize a twist lock plug, so you can twist it to the left and lift it off. Turn the power off to the light first, pull the sensor and replace it first.

Old 11-19-08, 04:43 PM
F
For common dusk to dawn luminaires.,

The most common issue is the photocell if the light don't turn off during daytime hours then the photocell is allready shot.

Some have fail safe feature to stay on when they fail and some stay off when they fail so it will go either way.

Just get new photocell they are about 10 buck or so and just untwist it and pull up but when you install the new one you will notice there is a ordation when ya pull the old one you will see a little window or button facing one direction that will be north unless it facing the wall then it will be repostioned to prevent light splash back to the photoeye.

When you install the new photocell the light will stay on about 2 min or so then it will stay off until dusk then it will come on.

For anyreason after you install the new photocell and the light cycle ( on and off ) you may have to rotate a little to get away from light reflecting it.

Only one gotcha is make sure you get correct voltage due some of the dusk to dawn do run 240 volts( or higher ) most are set up to run on 120 volts.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-19-08, 07:14 PM
thanks for the info i will give it a try. it is on a pole do i need to kill the power or can i replace the sensor with the power to it? where would i find the voltage it uses?

Old 11-19-08, 07:41 PM
Is the light billed to you separately by the power company? If not, it must be on one of your house circuits. If it is billed separately, contact the power company and have them replace it, as they own it.
If it is on your house circuit, I would kill the circuit to prevent arcing once you pull the sensor from its socket

Old 11-20-08, 11:46 AM
it is after the meter i just don't know if i will b able to pull the main on the other pole. it is old & rusty but i will give it a try. i do appreacate the help & advice. if i can't get it shut off i guess i'll just have to break down & call a "professional".

Old 11-20-08, 04:40 PM
OK, "after the meter". Which meter? The meter to your house, or on its own meter? If it has its own disconnect, try that. What main on what pole are you referring to?

Old 11-20-08, 06:13 PM
the main power comes to a central pole in the middle of the barn yard from the transformer at the road. from there it goes to the house & out buildings. on that pole is the meter & a main swich at the top of the pole to kill all power to the entire farm. it has a rod that runs down the pole to the ground so it can be truned off from the ground. it has been there for about 30 yrs at least & is pretty rusty & don't know what it is like inside the box on top of the pole where the main line comes in from the transformer at the road.

Old 11-20-08, 07:01 PM
IF you don't feel comfortable with killing the power, you may want to call that electrician to help out. It may be safer.

Old 11-20-08, 09:36 PM
F
Originally Posted by trimpe7638 View Post
the main power comes to a central pole in the middle of the barn yard from the transformer at the road. from there it goes to the house & out buildings. on that pole is the meter & a main swich at the top of the pole to kill all power to the entire farm. it has a rod that runs down the pole to the ground so it can be truned off from the ground. it has been there for about 30 yrs at least & is pretty rusty & don't know what it is like inside the box on top of the pole where the main line comes in from the transformer at the road.

Ahh I know what that used for on the main switch on the top of the pole it normally used with transfer switch when you have oddball plug next to it and on the lever you will see one of few format saying " Line Off Generator " or " Line Off Aux " one of few diffrent format.

Really I suggest have a electrician come out and have it check out to be on safe side and some case the electrician will bring bucket truck and go up the pole and replace the photoeye.

I do have bucket truck in my company it far much safer than useing extendison ladder or climb up the post with logger type rig to climb up { yeah I have that also }

Merci,Marc

Old 11-21-08, 08:17 AM
yes it is a switch to hook up a generator so you don't back feed the main line. us here in the northern country know that all to well. hahaha. any way if i can i will pull it & hopefully kill the power. if not i will get a hold of electrician i know one that has a bucket truck. thanks for all your help & sugestions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: