replacemed transformer - lights too dim!

Old 11-22-08, 05:03 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
replacemed transformer - lights too dim!

Hi,

I bought a low voltage wire light system from IKEA (IKEA | Lighting | Ceiling lamps | TERMOSFÄR | Low-voltage wire system 5 spots). Almost immediately, the lights would all shut off simultaneously after about an hour. Turning off and on only produced a flicker of light. The lights would come back if you left it off a while. I figured there was a thermal overload (the 1 hour thing was pretty consistent).

So I replaced the original transformer (labelling says: 120 VAC to 11.5VDC.13A, 50/60Hz 1.2A, 50-150W, soft start, overload protection, short circuit protection, thermal protection, renewable by restart) with a similar one (says 12VAC, I'm just noticing not VDC!). The lights came on and stayed on, but were dim.

Did I get the wrong transformer?

Old 11-22-08, 07:36 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I'm not real familiar with Halogens, but the link you posted seems to say 5 bulbs and then list 12v and 20 w. If the 20 watts is each bulb, which seems reasonable, that's 1.6 amps each or 8 amps for all five. Recheck the numbers on the transformer as what you show is a bit confusing and nothing close to 8 amps. It sounds like you have the wrong transformer, the first one. Does the packing information say anything different?
Bud

Old 11-22-08, 08:04 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You gave us a lot of specs on the old transformer, but only one spec on the new transformer. It's impossible to compare them. But 12VAC doesn't seem to match anything on the old transformer, so the new transformer is probably wrong.

Old 11-23-08, 10:38 AM
R
Sorry for not providing enough detail.

I got this one:

150 watt Electronic Transformer SL-728-150 - Cabinet Lighting Transformers - Cabinet Lighting - Recessed Lighting - Lighting - USA Light & Electric

I was also looking for at this one, but haven't bought it:

LET 151 R(12V/150W)

Would either these work?

Old 11-23-08, 11:21 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The old one produces DC output and both of the new ones produce AC output. That doesn't sound like the same thing.

Did you install the original product exactly as it arrived, with the same number of bulbs it came with, the correct bulb type, and the same wire length? No modifications at all?

Old 11-23-08, 11:52 AM
R
Hi John,

I'm thinking you're right about buying the wrong part.

As far as the original install, I followed the install directions. White wire from the transformer to incoming white, black to incoming black. The ground wire on the enclosure to the bare incoming wire.

There reduced voltage wires coming out of the transformer were splice into a modular jack and so were the wires from that the lights themselves attached to. The two parts only meet one way, so I'm hoping that I didn't botch that part.

All the bulbs and their sockets, the wiring that they attach to, and the transformer can as a kit. I just used what came in the kit.

I still have the original transformer. I can put it back in if there some more testing that I could do on that (or how I hooked it up). I did cut the reduced voltage wires to the modular jack, but can just use caps to reattach.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: