New Motion Flood Light not Working - Too cold?

Old 11-23-08, 05:03 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New Motion Flood Light not Working - Too cold?

Last month or so I bought a new motion detector flood light for our porch. It has worked fine except for it turning on a lot if it was windy. I turned down the sensitivity and didn't have a problem with it after that.

Now just two days all of a sudden, we can't get the lights to turn on, even if I put my hand in front of the sensor. Maybe 1 out of 10 tries it will do it. I Have the sensitivity up as far as it can go and still nothing. It doesn't even work properly in test.

Just about an hour ago I tested it again as I was leaving, and it did come on, although it took a few seconds. But I came home, nothing.

It's in the 20's tonight, could the cold affect it? I should also note that I have a vent pipe for a stove in the sensor's line of view, but that never caused a problem before.

I'd hate to really replace this thing as I JUST bought (unfortunately I don't have the receipt and I believe it's been too long. I'm not even sure I still have all the packing material.

What could cause the light to not function after such a short period of time other than the temperature? Or is it something else?

*edit* I should mention that an older flood light I just replaced with this one had no problems in the winter. The only reason why I replace it was because you couldn't override the sensor fromthe wall and that's what I was looking for.

Old 11-23-08, 05:38 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I work in hardware retail and I've never heard of a sensor effected by cold.Never had one returned for that either.that said:These units are almost all imported,they are made a cheaply as possible because they are commonly promotional items and they are often defective or stop working within a short period of time.We get lots of returns for general failure reasons.

I'm not sure anyone makes a homeowner grade light that is of really good quality and it is hit or miss with fixtures also performing like they should.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: