Old 11-26-08, 07:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile How many 8ft fluorescent lights do I need for a 32x40 building

Beer 4U2Beer 4U2

I am looking for the number of 8ft lights to put in my building?:USAF:

Old 11-26-08, 11:29 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts

Not meaning to be a smart alec but it really depends upon what you are going to be using the space for. For example, if I asked you how much pressure I should put in my truck tires you would first have to know what kind of truck, what size tires and what kind of load I would be carrying. An import mini-pickup would have maybe 28 to 30 psi while an airport fuel transporter would be about 150 psi.

If all you are going to do is store automobiles in the building you need only enough light to see to park the vehicles, probably 10 foot-candles would be more than enough. If you want to do a heart-lung transplant on your wife/husband you would need 1,000 foot-candles at least.

Even given the eight-foot fluorescent criteria leaves a lot out of the question. Are you specifying two-tube units or four-tube units? Are you specifying standard output, high output or very high output? How high are the ceilings and where are the lights going to be mounted? Do you want to be able to turn on only sections at one time or the entire area? Will some areas need more light than others?

Bottom line is that you rarely can have too much light but it is really easy to have too little.

Old 11-26-08, 11:55 PM
F
Need to know how high the ceiling and what it will be used for like workshop or just a genral useage set up ?

The excat numbers will varies depending on type of flourscent luminaire it will be used.

here the typical common flourscent luminaries

• 8 Ft 75W F96T12 slimline { this is about history now due engery requirement }

• 8 Ft 95/110 W F96T12 HO common 8 foot high output luminare however there is a good gotcha is the bulb itself if you used the " watt miser or engery saver " they will not lit up very well colder than 40°F.

A true 110W Coldweather bulb will lit up low as -20°F with cold weather ballast

Keep in your mind the magatinc ballast will make some noise but if you get electronic verison the noise will just simply dissappar.

• 8 Ft 215W F96T12VHO { sometime called SHO } this probly the brighest one of 8 foot flourscent class however it is a power hog and myself I personally will NOT recomned this due few reason.,

Noisey Ballast
Very expensve bulb { over 30 bucks per bulbs }
Rather semi short service life on bulb { only about 9~12,000 hours bulb life }

Now here next group of 8 footer luminaires which I genrally will recomeond for most situations

• 8 foot lumiaire with 4 X F32T8 bulbs this is pretty much most common one now and useally have electronic ballast in most case and it is very quiet and the brightness it will be between the slimline and HO and the bulb life is much longer to boot they have 20,000+ hour life on them { keep in your mind the life of bulbs will depending on how often you turn it on/off and how long burning time each time it used }

the next group it may fit in here but it have metric length basised bulb they are called F32T5 { the length is diffrent than standard plain jane F32T8 will be }

They do kick pretty good amout of light and alot of big box store and very large numbers of commercal/industrail customer like this with Low/ Hi bay luminiare they typically come in either 4 or 6 bulb verison and they do save a quite bit of power.

As far I am typing here the cost of 6 lamp Low/High bay flourscent luminaire is about right on the par with large 400 w Metal Halide luminaires { about 150 to 250 bucks depending on the options it will have }

Sorry for long winded but just want to give you few options what you want to use for the luminaires.

The HID's that diffrent story and I will pretty much leave this out if the ceiling height is less than 15 foot above floor level.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-27-08, 06:28 AM
I am going to use this for a workshop. The building is 40x64 and I split the building in half. The lights I am using are from lowes (#163725 (86797) 8' 2 lamp comm ho str.) I am closing off the front half of the building for the shop. The rear of the building I am using to store farm machinery. I was planning on putting 12 lights in the front half of the building. That would be 24 bulbs and a few people told me that if I did that the space station would be able to tell me where my house is. I want enough light to see and work. I will have so many per light switch. Thanks guys.

Jason

Old 11-27-08, 12:35 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
At 40 x 64 you have roughly 2500 square feet of area, half of that would be a bit less than 1300 square feet. My garage is roughly 24 x 20 for a bit less than 500 square feet. I have five, eight-foot two-tube high-output fixtures (the plan was for 6, I have just never purchased the last fixture) and it is not too much light for shop work. My ceiling is about nine feet above the floor and is covered with drywall.

My garage works out to one fixture per 96 square feet (one per 80 square feet if I get the last one installed) and your plan would be about one fixture for every 108 square feet. Two of my fixtures (16 feet long) are on one switch and the rest are on individual switches. There are times I wish I had the sixth fixture and I also find a need for supplemental lighting on a fairly regular basis.

I wouldn't listen to anyone that tries to tell you that you are going overboard on the lighting plan.

Old 11-27-08, 02:13 PM
F
12 X 8 foot luminaires that will light up the place pretty nice and also keep in your mind you will end up need at least 2 circuits on this one with the 8 foot HO's the ballast spec say it will draw about 2.2 amp so have at least 6 on one circuit and the rest on other circuit so that way you can not overload either 15 or 20 amp circuits.

again how high the ceiling it may affect the spacing on the luminares.

Merci,Marc

Old 11-27-08, 07:50 PM
Lightbulb

Thanks guys. My ceiling will be 10 ft tall. I figure i'd rather have to many lights than not enough. Thanks again for all the help.

Jason

Old 11-27-08, 10:48 PM
F
Now that change the number a little 10 foot ceiling you will only need at least 8 due you mention only half of building will be lited and with that low ceiling 8 will be more than plenty IIRC and my shop is 45X65 and I have 6 400w lowbay due I have 15.5 foot ceiling ( they just reballast to take 320w pulse start so have the same light level but konck the the wattage down a bit ) and have 4 8 footers in there as well due two is above the workbench and one is mounted centre of the room and the fourth one is in the generator room.

The other reason why I mixed the flourscent and HID's in there due it will take about 3 min to come up full brightness from cold start and about 5 min to restrike if power dip or actally hit the switch wrong.

Merci,Marc

Old 12-06-08, 08:55 PM
Thanks French. I just did not want to have enough light in the garage. I was planning on 12. I think I have 5 so far. I wait for lowes coupons to come and then I go get one. Thanks. Jason

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: