bathroom sink vanity light problem

Old 11-29-08, 12:46 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom sink vanity light problem

In both the master bathroom and the quest bathroom I have those lame studio lights where the bulbs are exposed. That was the first project I wanted to tackle when we bought the house a year ago. I took down the studio lights and realized the electrical box was not centered over the sink in both bathrooms. If I put a nice vanity light up with the existing electrical box it would not be centered with the sink and look really lame. In the master bathroom there is only one electrical box and the long studio light ties into the one box. I do not know why builders take these stupid shortcuts and not think ahead of time that most normal people may want to change out fixtures and get away from the builder grade fixtures. I know I will probably have to hire an electrician to install new electrical boxes in both baths but if anyone has any ideas of how to fix this myself please do tell. I mean I would even be fine with putting some kind of shades over the existing bulbs that are there now but I don't think that even exist. HELP PLEASE !!!!!!

Old 11-29-08, 01:08 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Most bathroom vanity lights do not mount to the electrical box, but rather mount directly to the wall. The exact position of the electrical box is not normally very important. In fact, many such fixtures are legally and safely mounted without an electrical box at all.

Be careful about adding shades. Lighting fixtures usually have well-thought-out designs for heat dissipation. Doing anything to interfere with that may cause overheating and create a fire hazard.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: