Installed Ceiling fan Friday, light bulb just exploded

Old 12-07-08, 04:26 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Installed Ceiling fan Friday, light bulb just exploded

Hi,

I have a house built in 1900. It has 12 foot ceilings, and the heating costs last year were so high I wanted to install a ceiling fan in the home office where I spend the day so the warm air will blow around the room.

On Friday I bought a Hamilton brand ceiling fan/light fixture and installed it myself. My house has original wiring in the front and there was no ground box up there. I fastened the fan mount securely and installed the fan and everything worked fine. I used it some Friday with fan and lights, but mostly fan. Also only fan on Saturday.

Today in the late afternoon I turned on the fan on low speed with lights on also, and after about 10 minutes one of the bulbs exploded in it's socket showering glass and then (the bulb) began smoking. The unit did not start smoking, just the bulb.

I turned of the wall switch, and removed the broken bulb, and one other bulb also (the light part has has three "mini" light bulb sockets). At this moment the fan is on low and the single bulb is burning fine without exploding.

Is something wrong with my installation, or did I just get a cheap chinese bulb that exploded after a small amount of use?

Thanks!
-James

Old 12-07-08, 05:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
your bulb either got water on it from somewhere or lost its vacum and got air inside the bulb.

are you going to cowboy up or just lay there and bleed?

Old 12-07-08, 09:06 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I vote for bulbs that were bad out of the box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: