Need help

Old 12-15-08, 09:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help

Hi, Need help wiring a ceiling fan...

I have 12-3 running from the switch to the ceiling fan box, and I have 12-2 running from the ceiling fan box from the power source... I want to hook up two swiches so that the fan and light can be controlled independantly by each switch.

So how should I go about wiring this? Do I have enough wire running into the switch box?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-08, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok here it goes.,,

Senice you have power source at the fan box which it is a 12-2 W/G right ? if so keep reading here.,

12-3W/G from fan box to the switch box if that correct ? if so read on .,,

If both questions is correct here what you have to do this .,,

The white wire from 12-2 is netual for fan and light grab the fan et light netural conductor. typically either white or black with white stripe one of the two depending on the manufacter is that you will need a yellow wirenut for this one wirenutted that one and set it aside for time being.,

Now take the black conductor from 12-2W/G and take the 12-3W/G take that 12-3 cable and find a white conductor and PLEASE remarked this one with marker so it will be a hot conductor to the switch box and take a yellow or red wirenut and wirenutted and sit a side for time being.,,

Now let get to the switch box you will see three conductors there take the white one and remarked same colour as you did with ceiling fan box that is a hot conductor now you will have to make two pigtails about 6 inches long and use red wire nut to wirenutted together.

For standard toggle switch or dimmer it pretty straght foward task after you grab a pigtail lead and hook up the switches or dimmer or fan speed control and the black 12-3 is used for light while the red is used for fan motor get all hook up properly then go back to the ceiling fan get the black conductor from 12-3 that will go to black conductor on fan motor and grab the red conductor from 12-3 and hook up with bleu conductor {or other marking say to light }

wirenutted them up and when ya get done push all the conductor in place but fold them nice so you don't get any nick or damge to the conductor at all.

Typically when you pull the conductors you will need at least 6 inches out of the box per NEC code requirement.

turn on the power and turn on the switches you may have to pull the chain on the fan and light itself once you get the light work and make sure you leave the pullchain in high speed postion then the fan speed control will take care from there.

Any question just holler here

Merci,Marc