Bath room light out

Old 12-16-08, 07:52 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bath room light out

This may have been discussed. If that and I am making additional post, I apologize.

My bathroom light went out. Naturally, I replaced light bulbs but the light did not come up. Changed the wall switch but no good. I checked the AC Voltage at the wall switch, then it showed 49VAC, not 110VAC.

What does this mean and where do I start to fix the problem??

Any recommendation will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-08, 05:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This could be a few different things.

The first thing to note is that the 49 volts doesn't really mean 49 volts, but is telling you that you have an open circuit. The hot wire might be open, or the neutral wire might be open. If you measured hot to ground, and if you have no reason to suspect the grounding in your house, then it's probably an open hot. An open hot can be caused by a tripped GFCI, a tripped breaker, a bad switch, or a failed connection.

If instead you measured those 49 volts between hot and neutral, then you could have either an open hot or an open neutral. First, try measuring voltage from hot to ground instead of hot to neutral. If indeed it is an open neutral, then I would suspect a bad "backstab" connection (wire poked into a hole) somewhere (anywhere) on the circuit.