ceiling fan won't stop turning

Old 12-22-08, 06:02 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question ceiling fan won't stop turning

I'm in the process of installing a new ceiling fan (Harbor Breeze Airpsan Model #HE-0508S-1...it has 2 small fans on one fixture) and have run into a problem. Mounting went fine and wiring went fine (at least according to instructions). I have not attached the blades yet, but turned on power to test the light. When I turn on power at the wall switch, the fans automatically turn on and will not stop when using the remote. The light responds to the remote as expected.

I'm guessing that something is wired wrong, but I'm thinking that if the wiring was bad that the fan wouldn't work at all. Any thoughts?

(I haven't had a chance to call Product Customer Service yet, but plan to tomorrow.)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 08:11 PM
First of all, it is not recommended to test the fan motor without the blades installed.

And yes, it is possible to wire the fan so that it won't respond to the remote, but that is not a common wiring error. It would require you to connect the fan's black wire to the input rather than the output of the remote receiver. Could you have done that?

Old 12-23-08, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the info...but ultimately it didn't matter. My wife wasn't happy with the light level of the fixture, so I ended up getting a different model altogether. I didn't take the time to investigate the wiring and what might have been wrong...just got it out of there as fast as I could and on to the next one!

Thanks again.

Old 12-24-08, 10:44 AM
I realize you got another fan but in case someone else reads this.
The receiver and remotes may have dip switches on them that have to be the same. For example if the receiver's dip switches are all off then the remotes have to be all off.

Old 12-26-08, 11:11 AM
The light responds to the remote as expected.
If the light responds to the remote, then the dip switches must be set correctly.

Old 12-28-08, 05:46 AM
Originally Posted by John Nelson View Post
If the light responds to the remote, then the dip switches must be set correctly.
oops, I missed that part