Ceiling Fan Got Wet

Old 12-26-08, 06:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Got Wet

My roof had a leak and the leak happened to be right above a ceiling fan. The water was actually dripping off of the fan. I let it dry out for about a week before I turned it on. When I did nothing worked. Is there a easy fix for this or do I have to go buy another fan? The fan is only about 6 months old. There is a place close to my house that fixes electrical tools and motors. Should I take it too them? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-08, 09:02 PM
When electrical stuff gets wet, it can take an amazingly long time to dry out. Give it two months without use--don't turn it on during that period. If it doesn't work after that, then buy a new one.

By the way, use this same advice if you drop your cell phone or sports radio into water. Give it many weeks to dry out before you give up on it.

Old 12-27-08, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the reply John. Did I hurt anything by turning it on before it was completely dry? Would it help if I put a fan on it to speed up the drying?

Old 12-27-08, 08:23 PM
No way to tell if you caused any damage by applying power while it was wet, but probably not. I don't know if you can speed up the drying or not. The moisture is likely deep inside and I don't know if the fan would reach it.