replace hardwired ceiling fan with chandelier

Old 12-28-08, 02:09 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replace hardwired ceiling fan with chandelier

I want to replace a ceiling fan, that is hard wired into ceiling, with a chandelier.... at first I thought to use an inline switch because the chandelier will have to be swagged from wired-in location to mount location. I worried about the inline switch being safe. There are 8 15volt bulbs....

A guy at Home Depot suggested I use a remote converter kit for a ceiling fan. Now that I'm getting ready to do the deed, and have removed the fan (no light), several questions have come up:

*after removing fan, the 'box' is mounted to a 2x4 presenting it's 4" side (I'm thinking the 2x4 was mounted between ceiling joists - btw, no overhead access to any of the ceiling area), and is very shallow, with the main electric wire coming through a 1/2" hold drilled through the 2x4. There is no wiggle room to put the 'receiver' for the remote in the box The domed cap that belongs with the chandelier is too shallow for the reciever (which is a little larger than a deck of cards - mfg by Hunter Fan)

*the kit stresses that it must only be used for fans - is this true?

*Coming out of the receiver there are wires for the fan and the light... IF I can safely use it, can I connect the chandelier to the fan wiring and expect the lights to function at three levels of brightness?

*would it be safe to use the online switch as originally planned instead? By this I mean one of those devices with circular disk/saw edge that moves by thumb or finger that can be actually added anywhere along the existing wire to interrupt current. By having to swag the wiring which is threaded through a chain, the switch would be fairly inconspicious and easliy reached, by an adult. The down side is no dimming capability, which I was hoping I might have with the remote (see above).

Thanks for any advice with this situation.

Old 12-29-08, 11:46 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Chandelier

When power comes to the ceiling box, the usual switching method is a wall switch connected to the ceiling box with a switch loop circuit. This requires a switch box on the wall and a 2-wire cable with ground from the switch box to the ceiling box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: