ceiling fan wiring problem

Old 01-03-09, 09:21 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy ceiling fan wiring problem

Hello, I've read several of the ceiling fan/light posts and replies, but still need help. I've replaced a fan/light only for update purposes, the unit worked well prior to me messing with it. The switch is double, one controlled the light, and the other turned on the fan, with the fan speed controlled by the chain. The wiring coming into the house had two black wires connected to the switch, with a red wire going to the fixture from one switch, and a black one going from the other switch.The new fan/light had black, white and blue wires with a green ground. The wiring from the ceiling had black, white and red wires, and ground. The instructions said black to black and blue, white to white, and ground to ground. We tried many combinations but couldn't get anything more that the fan to work. We checked the bulbs, they're fine. We are very frustrated, but feel sure we're doing something wrong, just don't know what. We gave up for the night. Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-09, 09:39 PM
J
Connect fan black to ceiling black, fan white to ceiling white, fan blue to ceiling red, and fan green to ceiling ground.

I assume (hope) you left the wall wiring exactly as it was.

Old 01-04-09, 07:32 AM
D
Red face more ceiling fan issues

John, thank you so much for your help! I guess the extra details I neglected might help you solve our mystery. We did try what you suggested before I posted the first time, with the fan only working again. That is why we tried so many other ways. Here's the thing: when we looked at the switch wiring, we didn't change anything, just had to pull it gently out a bit to see what went to what. However, as we were trying different configurations, we found that the fan worked, but only when we slightly pushed the switch back in as we were flipping them on. This made us believe that it hanging out a bit was messing up the connection, so we tightened the screw with the red wire (the light that was not working), pushed the switch back in and secured it. Now, the fan worked beautifully, but still no light. We actually tried putting fan black, ceiling black, ceiling red and fan blue all together to see if the light came on to no avail. My husband thinks that since the fan still worked but the light didn't in this configuration that something must be wrong in the new fixture. Also, this fan is different in that the light is actually above the blades, with the connection kit that plugs together below the blades and both chains come out here. Could we possible have something wrong in there? The connection went together fine, but there were other wires in there, although nothing that looked like it needed attention, and no mention in the directions. Sorry for the long post, but wanted to give you all we could to help figure this out. We love the new fan, but just want to get this light working. Thanks so much for your time!

Old 01-04-09, 01:11 PM
J
I would rewire the whole switch. Better yet, install a new switch. It appears there are some bad connections there. Do not use the "push in" connections, but rather use the screws. Check/replace any wire nut connections as well.

Make sure the light pull chain is in the "on" position (if it has a pull chain). If it has a remote, make sure the light function is not off or fully dimmed (press and hold the light button for 20 continuous seconds or so). Make sure you well made the connection between the fan and its light kit--it's usually a plug/socket connection.

Old 01-05-09, 07:34 PM
D
Angry

Ugh! I'm so frustrated!! I even talked to the guy who installs these fans and he said the problem is in the hub at the bottom of the ceiling fan/light---we should find the blue and white wires that are connected with a plastic connector and look for a black and white wire not connected-- put the white wire with ithe white wire and blue with the black. Only problem is, there is not a loose black wire, and the blue with the white in the connector looks right. So.... what to do? Are we really going to have to bring someone in for this seemingly simple problem?

Old 01-06-09, 07:54 AM
J
If you have an electrical tester, you can confirm that power is at least reaching the plastic connector. If it's getting that far but the lights are not coming on, then you know the problem is with the light kit or the connection to it.