Ceiling Fan Rotation

Old 01-19-09, 07:00 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceiling Fan Rotation

We have a two-story, vaulted ceiling in our living room. There is an open family room on the second floor. We are installing a ceiling fan in the living room and are not sure if we need to have the fan blowing up or down in the winter.

Old 01-19-09, 09:30 AM
S
Generally fans blow down in winter to take the rising heat from the ceiling and bring it back down to the lower level.In your case the only issue is if you're trying to bring heat to the upper room.If so then it would be a question of house design as if the uppewr room was not located close enough to the down force to gather heat it might be better to run the fan drawing upwards.Bottm line is it sounds like an experiment is in order to determine which is best for your house.

Old 01-19-09, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Far be it for me to disagree, but I have found that running the fan in reverse will tend to bring the cooler air from the floor and wash the walls with the warmer air. But as spdavid said, it is probably going to be a test situation to see what works best for you.

Old 01-19-09, 05:54 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
I never saw that much difference, but, my ceilings are only 8 foot.

Any moving air is going to make your skin feel cooler.

Old 01-20-09, 05:03 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I just don't feel the direct "cold" air if it is in reverse, as opposed to the direct downward flow.

Old 01-20-09, 09:23 AM
J
Convention wisdom says up in winter and down in summer. Note that both directions will bring the warm air at the ceiling down, but having the fan blow up brings it down along the walls and having the fan blow down brings it down in the middle of the room.

But, conventional wisdom is not always right. It depends on the shape and size of the room and personal taste. You must experiment to determine what is right for you.

Just as one data point, what is right for me is neither. I strongly prefer not to run the fan at all in either direction in the winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: