problem with yard light timers keeping correct time

Old 01-21-09, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question problem with yard light timers keeping correct time

Please help,

I've had a mechanical yard light timer controlling 3 pole lights that worked for years without a problem. It was replaced by an electric timer that did not maintain the correct time.

This has been replaced by another electrical and now a mechanical timer (installed by an electrician).

The mechanical timer seemed to be working fine for about a month, but now it also does not keep time correctly (lost 15 minutes overnight).

Can someone help? Don't know if it is related, but the voltage into my house consistently runs high -- around 128Volts. Is there anyway the voltage is screwing with the time keeping on ALL timers?

Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-09, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I may have some ideas for you to help solve your issue or maybe other things to consider. In MN here we have a light sensor on the top of each yard light that automatically turns them on and off as the sun comes up and goes down. I guess I am unclear as to what your mechanical method of controlling the lights includes. If you could explain that may help.

The voltage you are having serve your house is high. Did the electrician recommend that your power supplier check thier transformer to make sure it is operating correctly? I serve on a board of directors on a co-op electric board and we have seen instances around our state where the voltage has been an issue whether it's too high or low affecting applicances. They can last a couple months on poor voltage but burn out due to being out of the 110-120 voltage range. Just an idea of something else to check.

Hope this gives some answer to your voltage question.