# of stooges to change a microwave lite?

Old 01-21-09, 08:32 AM
# of stooges to change a microwave lite?

Apparently more than this one. The truth is I've never seen a microwave lose it's light but mine has. There's a fairly obvious translucent panel to remove but underneath what's there is a mystery to me as to how to fix it. There's a lateral cylindrical tube about 1" long by 1/2 in D. It's attached solid to the interior wall of the microwave behind the panel, packed into brass wind. It only has a nail hole size in the front of the tube and inside it looks like an induction coil so that's what I gather is the lighting mechanism. The forward facing part of the tube with the nail hole is steel round, attached seemingly solid to a plastic base. None of these components would seem to come out and in any case that seems to not be the fault. I'm guessing it's a short in the wiring but there's no access behind this tube recess about 2" thick. So vaguely in my mind I can hear people cursing over this kind of thing because to get into this Oster ain't no Oyster. So I was just hoping maybe someone has figured out the mystery here.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-09, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator
If you post the brand and model of the oven, theres a couple of appliance guys who may be able to help.

Old 01-21-09, 08:22 PM
It's and Oster OTM1101GBS which doesn't even have a manual online (even in Chinese). I wonder now if that cylinder isn't a heat sensor which would figure to be packed in brass wind, the light may be alluding me that's the only way in from the inside of the nuker and it's the easy obvious 2 screws panel. Seems more likely something in that cylinder is burnt out.

Old 02-14-09, 03:06 PM
solution

So I finally got time to unscrew the dozen or so screws holding the top cover on this microwave and the lamp was fairly obvious under that. The design still alludes any form of common sense like the 2 special torx screws meant to make you take the thing to a shop, and the panel on the inside which is right next to the lamp but inaccessible to reach it, and finally Oster customer service which is so lacking that I doubt they will even have a lamp replacement. I will call them Mon. but all that's needed is a 20W 120V lamp with male spade connectors and here the story just gets more bizarre but I cannot find any that specifically fit that spec online. If anyone knows of a source for generic lamps that would be appreciated. Even ebay is scarce for sources here in the US.