remove bathroom light fixture and move another

Old 01-21-09, 10:25 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
remove bathroom light fixture and move another

I have three light fixtures above my vanity in my bathroom. I want to remove one and move another so it's centered above the sink. I removed fixture that I want to get rid of. The junction box has the top missing (looks like someone broke it off). Can I just put the wires in the junction box, cap it off and dry wall over it? Also, I removed the fixture I want to scoot down the wall about 8 inches. The wires are coming straight out of the wall, no junction box. There is, however a broken junction box where I want to move the fixture. The whole side and top are broken off. Don't you just love new homes! Can I just pull the old wires down the wall and into the junction box? There are no studs in the way, there is, however a water pipe that they would have to cross. Also, do the broken junction boxes need to be replaced? How do I get the old ones out?
Thanks for any advice you have.
Texan Julianna

Old 01-21-09, 11:01 AM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
"Can I just put the wires in the junction box, cap it off and dry wall over it?"

You cannot dry wall over it. Junction boxes must be accessible.

Old 01-23-09, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 105 Votes on 91 Posts
Junction boxes must remain accessible. Perhaps you could turn them around so they face out the back of the wall?

Could you post pics?

If this is a new house I would have the builder make things right by having this corrected. It should not have been left this way.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: