Step light height

Old 01-23-09, 08:11 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Step light height

Hello to all!

I have plans to install step lights in the staircase wall of my home. They are the ones that install in the wall just above the step, not in the front kick plate. What is/ is there a standard or recommended height above the step in which they should be installed? Lets say from the top of the step to the bottom of the light? Thanks!

Old 01-24-09, 04:44 PM
H
sorry don't have an answer but had same question as I am installing Halo H2920ICT step lights in addition. I can't find anywhere how high to mount them. Just wanted to subscribe. I have mine temporarily hooked up at set them at about 2 ft to "test" them and seem OK, but wanted to see what the pros have to say. I am somewhat limited cause if I want to get all the steps lit at the top of the flight, I have to place them above the bottom plate. If I go below the bottom plate, then I have to move the light so far down the flight that the first couple steps do not get lit.

Old 01-25-09, 05:23 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Does the manufacturer have recommendations in the installation instructions?

Depending on the type light you have (I'm thinking incandescent with louvers)
I'd say 6" or no more than 12" off the top of the step.

Old 01-25-09, 08:32 AM
H
no instructions on height and nothing on their site (Cooper Lighting - Manufacturer of Fine Lighting Fixtures) yes incandescent with louvers. if you put them at 6", you would only be able to light maybe two lights. I have a friend that lives in new house that has them. I will have to ask him what height they were put at. I think they are closer to 2' so you get broader coverage. That is why I put mine at 2' to test. at that height I only need two lights for a flight to the landing, and only one more from the landing to the next level. I will post back when I find out.

Old 01-26-09, 01:20 PM
J
The brand of lights I purchased were "Advantage" (found at GrayBar) and they didn't have a recommended height either for installation. I spent about 2 hrs digging on the internet to see if any of the brands/ sites had a height listed and the only one I could find recommended 14-18 inches in the wall off the top of the step. Does that seem a little high?

Old 02-09-09, 08:25 PM
H
I asked my friend. He said that his are between steps and from highest step it is 9" (so about 16" from lower of the two steps) I have problem getting it to that height because my floor joist and bottom plate get in the way. If I go above them, I either have to go way up the steps to get it at that height and then it won't get many steps or I put it about 24" and this moves it down the flight a little and gives better coverage. If I go below the joist, then I am not able to light up the first couple steps because I have to go so far down flight to get below joist.

Old 02-09-09, 10:12 PM
F
For standard indenscent lovered stair luminaires typically 6 to 12 inches high however it will depending on the wattage also if like nightlight bulb type like 4 to 7 watts mount them little lower toward to 6 inches level but if have higher wattage like 25 watts or flourscent then 12 inches will work fine.

You may need two to four of the stairway luminaire depending which way you will mount it.

Merci,Marc

Old 02-10-09, 08:55 PM
H
I tried to move them based on this thread. the first light from top of stairs ends up falling between steps so I tried it at 9" from the higher one (16 from lower one) at that height, I think I need one about every 4th step. sound about right?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: