Does an extender exist for a wall mount vanity light?

Old 02-04-09, 06:29 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does an extender exist for a wall mount vanity light?

My vanity light is centered above the sink. It is new and installed in a regular box inside the wall, the kind that has the bar and you just screw the lamp to the bar and use the center peg with a cap from the lamp to secure it. It is a modern type bar with 4 lamps attached like this:ELK Lighting, Inc. - Item 113-4FR Detail .

Is there some kind of extender to buy and mount from the wall to the light fixture to make it stick out farther? I was thinking there must be a type of ring adapter that would have the same setup as the box and fixture to just extend the light a few inches. I have plenty of extra wire tucked in the box for a few inches. I need it to come out from the wall a few inches more, even if it is just 3 it would be better.

I don't know what part they describe as 6 inches deep but it must be the very outer part of the globe because there is no way the rest of it is that far away from the wall.

The lights do adjust individually on the bar but by the time I tilt them far enough out, it doesn't look good. I was also considering getting a surface mount medicine cabinet that would be about 5 inches deep so I really want the light to come out farther from the wall and shine directly over the sink. As it is now, the lights really just shine down on the backspash.

If they don't make such a thing (well, they should!), what else can I do to get the light to sit out farther without damaging the new drywall and paint? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-07-09, 11:17 PM
T
This is probably about as close as you are going to get, but it only gives you another inch or so.

Wiremold Fixture Box, Open Base, 5 1/2 In. Dia., MTL - V5737A at The Home Depot

Old 02-08-09, 12:15 PM
W
Received 22 Votes on 21 Posts
Box

You need a metal ceiling box extender. Not pretty, but functional.

Old 02-10-09, 11:38 PM
F
Thank you both for your replies. I think one of these will work to give me at least another inch. I guess I will pick one up and install the medicine cabinet first to see exactly how far out I want the light to extend. Luckily the painter left me touch up so it would be a cinch to paint and the walls are white anyway so hopefully it will blend in.

I am not happy with the mfg saying it extends 6 inches but have had it too long to return it. I will try these solutions and if not, switch the light to another bathroom but it really looks pretty with my red glass sink.

If anyone else ever searches here for this type of problem, the other idea was to extend the metal bar of the light fixture itself. This is beyond my skill and if you dont live in a tiny town like mine, you can have it done by a lighting store.

Again, thanks so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: