recessed lights just don't look right?

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-09, 08:38 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
recessed lights just don't look right?

I have HALO H7ICAT cans and I wanted to test the placement before I complete rough-in. I installed the trim that came with them ERT-707 baffle. then installed a BR30 65 watt bulb as listed on can for this trim. it just doesn't look right. there is gap between the bulb and the baffle and you can see the socket holder. I have the socket holder up as high as it will go but the bulb still comes nearly to the bottom of baffle. the other option for bulbs are 75W R30, 75W PAR30L, 50W PAR 30. I have never dealt with recessed lights before so don't know if perhaps a different bulb would fit better? thanks

Old 02-09-09, 10:35 PM
F
The trim should be correct and you look at the trim #'s it should match what it listed inside of the recessed can and yeah the baffle trim will go down a bit after you install the drywall up.

Keep in your mind with recessed cans there are other trims you can use if you don't like this one after drywall is up.

Merci,Marc

Old 02-10-09, 08:20 AM
T
Once you install the drywall the trim ring will only come down about a 1/4 inch, if that,. I have installed over 1000 of these things so here are your options. If you lower the bulb height so that the bottom of the bulb is flush with the trim ring it will hide the top a little better and dispense more light, plus no one is going to look up there when the light is on. If still does not work for you, they make a all metal ring that does not have a baffle and the hole is just big enough for the bulb. You can find these at the big box stores, but be prepared to spend money because they are atleast $5 a peice and if this is your basement, im guessing you have a lot of lights. Hope i helped good luck!

Old 02-10-09, 08:47 AM
T
I think you are looking for this trim ring H7301 Lowes or hd should have them check it out at lowes website Item #: 56571

Old 02-10-09, 10:16 AM
H
can I use the 301 with the H7ICAT? It isn't listed. the open trim is listed as 300 for my cans. (53828 at lowes ) I actually bought a different brand of open trim that was listed as compatible with 301, but then I couldn't find the 301 listed for my can, so I returned it. I guess cause my cans are air tight. bought same ones for everywhere and wanted IC cause plan to insulate between floors for sound deadening. decided to get the air tight for energy. maybe the 301 will work but doesn't qualify as air tight?

I was hoping to use the baffles because they came with the cans. I could have bought boxes of cans that did not include any trim. I actually ended up taking back some of the boxes with trim because I had some areas where couldn't use the baffles (over tub, shower, in closets) the 6 baffles added about $10 to the cost, so if I don't end up using them I am not out that much.

can't lower light, it already is about flush with ceiling. wife said last night that when light on you won't be looking up. are any on the other bulbs that can be used wider than the BR30 to hide things better.

Old 02-11-09, 09:57 AM
T
If its not listed i probably wouldnt use it. (Rather be safe than sorry). Halo does make a 300, but im not sure if the box stores carry them, You might have to order them right from halo. A phone call too halo might answer any other questions.

Old 02-11-09, 10:39 AM
N
Originally Posted by hammerash View Post
are any on the other bulbs that can be used wider than the BR30 to hide things better.
You might try PAR38 or BR40, just don't exceed the rated wattage. Lamp diameter is measured in eights BR40 is 40/8 or 5"

Old 02-11-09, 12:10 PM
H
the only options for bulbs with this trim I listed above and unfortunately, BR40 and PAR38 are not listed. I found a halo baffle trim that is different than this one. It is 312 (I think the one I got is equivalent to the 310) it says that it has a smaller bulb opening to better conceal the inside of the housing. Seems strange, why would you even make one that you can see the ugly socket? given the choice, why would anyone choose the wider one? I will have to see if big box has these. Of note, the open trim for this can (300) includes a new socket mount and a reflector. I guess has to do to the fact they are ICAT. lot more expensive than the 301 trim, which is just a ring.

Old 02-11-09, 05:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 103 Votes on 89 Posts
Unfortunately it looks like you are a victim of the selection available at the big box stores. The problem you describe when looking up is precisely the reason I prefer the Progress P87 fixture and trim.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: