socket adapters with pull chains but without outlets?

Old 02-14-09, 04:46 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
socket adapters with pull chains but without outlets?

I have searched and searched but can only find socket adapters with pull chains that have the outlets on top. I need one with NO outlets. Do they even make them. It does need to have a pull chain.

Old 02-14-09, 05:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Just out of curiosity what do you need the adapter for? Is it for the pull chain ability? Is this being screwed into a porcelain lamp holder? Just need more information to help you out with.

Old 02-14-09, 06:17 PM
S
I know what it is that you are finding.As far as I know there isn't an adapter with just a pull chain at least not through hardware store retail.Ace,which I work with,does not carry one.

As chandler asked,what kind of fixture is it?In many cases replacing the existing fixture and/or socket with one that has a pull chain would be simple and inexpensive.

Old 02-14-09, 10:36 PM
N
The adapter is needed specifically for the pull chain ability. There are no wall switches in our older home and this would be for an island light that I replaced a pull chain ceiling fan with. If I use one with outlets at the top it sticks out from under the shade too far and you are left staring at a bare bulb. I am not sure if the lamp socket is porcelain or not. Does it matter? I guess I will probably have to redo the socket with a pull chain. But I was looking for the easiest way.
Thank you for responding.

Old 02-16-09, 05:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
I believe your easiest "out" would be to replace the socket on the lamp itself to a pull chain model. It isn't difficult if it is a standard brass socket. You will need to turn off the breaker, or remove the fuse to this circuit and expose the socket by removing the globe or other items in the way. Pry off the back of the socket (where the wire goes in). This will allow you to see the two wires attached to screws under the sleeve. If you buy a similar socket with a pull chain, you can just wire it up as the old one was wired and possibly even use the original back cap, or replace it as well. Let us know if we can help further.

Old 02-16-09, 12:25 PM
N
Thanks for the help. I am sure I can manage to replace with a pull chain socket. Sometimes lazy makes more work, not less.

Old 02-16-09, 01:58 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you go to a lighting showroom, chances are they can install a pull chain switch in the canopy of the style of fixture you like. There is just a limited selection of fixtures with factory installed pull chains, but most standard canopies will accommodate a pull chain switch, and the lighting shop will usually gladly drill the fixture and install the switch for you. That's what I did when I went to replace a few of the bare porcelain pull chain fixtures the builder installed in my basement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: