Help...Strange wiring

Old 02-15-09, 08:19 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help...Strange wiring

I installed a new ceiling fan today and am now having issues with the recessed lights in the ceiling of the same room (on a different switch). After installing the ceiling fan the recessed lights are now controlled by the same switch that controls the ceiling fan w/ light. The electrical box in the ceiling was wired as follows: on the left side there were 3 wires - black, white and red. The other side had 2 wires - black and white. The only way I could get power to the the fan was to hook it up to the black and white wires that also had the red wire. If I hooked it to the other 2 I got nothing. Also, the only way I could get the recessed lighting to work again was to hook the black and white wires on the right of the box to the black and white wires on the left side. The problem is that the seperate dimmer switch on the other side of the room that once controlled the recessed lights no longer controls anything. The lights are now controlled by the same sitch that turns the fan on and off. So CONFUSED.....

Old 02-15-09, 08:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
You may want to try the fan black to the ceiling black. If only using the switch try the ceiling red to the fan black.

Whites to whites, and greens and bares together.

Follow up if this doesn't work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: